* [9fans] PC's 16MB SEGMAPSIZE limitations.
@ 1998-08-01 19:33 Russ
From: Russ @ 1998-08-01 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

This should be a FAQ.

------ forwarded message follows ------

>From cse.psu.edu!owner-9fans Wed Oct 29 00:48:31 EST 1997
From: rsc
To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 00:43:58 -0500
Subject: re: [9fans] How much memory does it require ...
Sender: cse.psu.edu!owner-9fans

This got tossed around two years ago, and I think the
resolution was that you could change SEGMAPSIZE in pc/mem.h
and all would be fine.  The two attached messages contain
the necessary bits I think.

Nigel Roles said once that 8l uses 20MB to link ghostscript
without any printer drivers.

Russ

Sender: owner-9fans@cse.psu.edu

changing SEGMAPSIZE works fine.
It incurs overhead allocated Segment structures
so 16 seemed reasonable for a terminal. We really
dont use PC's to compile.

* [9fans] PC's 16MB SEGMAPSIZE limitations.
@ 1998-08-04 22:15 Erik
From: Erik @ 1998-08-04 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote:

> >>I tried bumping SEGMAPSIZE to 64 and the machine became unstable.
>
> that's enough for me on dozens of machines, with no instability.

Sorry,  spoke too soon.  The instability wasn't caused by SEGMAPSIZE.  I
guess I applied the updates too hastily. :)

Apparently there is some incompatibility between my #9 Motion 771 VLB
card and the 9/pc/vgargb524.c hardware cursor stuff. After commenting
out the hwgc entry in vgadb the problem went away.

Symptoms included black screens of death when resizing windows and/or
moving the mouse, sending the monitor into a out-of-sync tailspin,
hanging the machine, and  frying the local kfs file system.

The hung machine and tossed file system seem to be a fairly strange
effects for hwgc incompatibilities.  I wonder if there isn't a bad
pointer in the code somewhere.

Any thoughts on this?  Thanks.

Ciao,
Erik

* [9fans] PC's 16MB SEGMAPSIZE limitations.
@ 1998-08-03  9:54 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1998-08-03  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-08-01 22:47 Erik
From: Erik @ 1998-08-01 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

After applying all the AT&T updates to "Plan 9", I tried to rebuild the
world.   Several items refused to compile due to "out of mem"
conditions, namely some of the larger things in libtiff.

After digging around, I see that the maximum segment size is 16MB for
PCs (mem.h - SEGMAPSIZE).   This would explain the behavior I'm seeing
out of the 8c compiler as it uses sbrk to extend its BSS segment up to
16MB before it dies.

I tried bumping SEGMAPSIZE to 64 and the machine became unstable.  Seems
there are other hard coded limits throughout the Plan 9 PC kernel, 16,
64, 128 etc.  It appears that the maximum process footprint is limited
to 64MB.  This is a truly sad condition for modern machines.

Has anyone had luck getting the 9 PC kernel out of the 16MB gear?

Ciao,
Erik

* [9fans] PC's 16MB SEGMAPSIZE limitations.
@ 1998-08-01 20:27 jmk
From: jmk @ 1998-08-01 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

	a% grep SEGMAPSIZE /sys/src/brazil/pc/mem.h
	#define SEGMAPSIZE	512
	a%

--jim

* [9fans] PC's 16MB SEGMAPSIZE limitations.
@ 1998-08-01 19:54 dina
From: dina @ 1998-08-01 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

>This should be a FAQ.

working on it.