* [9fans] Re: Plan9 Installation
@ 1998-08-05 18:44 mark_otto
From: mark_otto @ 1998-08-05 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On July 30, I wrote that I was getting an .bad magic error, and the boot
program for the PC installation could not find the c: drive when I started
the file system installation.

Jim McKee <jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote that there were probably problems
with my large 2GB IDE hard drive he suggested that I look for an updated
copy of the bootstrap program, b.com (and kernel actually), or use a
smaller hard drive.

Patrick Hacker <hacker@pogo.WV.TEK.COM> thought the onboard floppy disk
controller is too fast for the software on the floppy disks stored at
Lucent.  He also suggested I get a later version or the 4 floppy disk set
or use a SCSI controller such as the Adaptec 1542 to control the floppy
drive.

Tom West <west9@worldnet.att.net@west9@postoffice.worldnet.att.net> also
wrote to suggest how I could partition my drive.

I haven't been able to find an updated copy of b.com and the kernal that is
updated for large (>=2GB) hard disks, and would appreciate knowing where I
can find one.  I have found a older machine that has an 850MB hard drive,
and I am trying to get permission to use that.  Thank you to those that
responded to my problem.

Mark Otto

only message in thread, other threads:[~1998-08-05 18:44 UTC | newest]