* [9fans] old bell labs software
@ 1998-08-26 17:35 Russ
From: Russ @ 1998-08-26 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> dot would be very useful in the Java age to draw graphs of the

there's a "dotty" that seems to do similar
things and is being distributed free for
personal use, etc. etc. from www.research.att.com/sw/tools.
i just know it's there; i've never used it.

* [9fans] old bell labs software
@ 1998-08-26  8:59 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1998-08-26  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

grap is included in Plan 9.

anim's source is still in netlib somewhere (i'm sure i saw it recently)
but would take a little effort (probably not all that much) to get going
under Plan 9; i've certainly ported it to other systems before, but
not to Plan 9.

dag was replaced by `dot', which was once distributed under some form of licence
at least to educational sites; the university of york had a copy,
which i did run on Plan 9 when i was there.

dot would be very useful in the Java age to draw graphs of the
API hierarchy as it changes.  (a copy of AutoRoute-Java
is obviously essential too.)  i wonder if it is still available.

>>i always wanted to generate my own pico-portraits...
that's the one that would be most fun, i think.
was the original ever distributed?
(i know there's a PD approximation.)

* [9fans] old bell labs software
@ 1998-08-26  8:19 Roger
From: Roger @ 1998-08-26  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

while we're on the subject of old bell labs software,
does anyone know what became of those old 10th edition
programs "dag", "grap", "pico" and "anim"? did anyone
port them to plan 9? i always wanted to generate my own
pico-portraits...

  cheers,
    rog.