* [9fans] more userfriendly mailer like exmh on Plan 9?
@ 1998-09-07  2:23 Kenji
From: Kenji @ 1998-09-07  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> okamoto%plan9@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp writes:
> | Are thre something like exmh on Plan 9?
>
> How about acme?

How can I cook acme for naive users' initiallization?
This means how to make run the command Mail /mail/mbox/$user/mbox
at the beginning of the acme session.

Kenji

* [9fans] more userfriendly mailer like exmh on Plan 9?
@ 1998-09-07  9:54 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1998-09-07  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> How can I cook acme for naive users' initiallization?

>>Set up the window the way you want it, type "Dump" somewhere
>>and execute it.  That creates an acme.dump file that you can
>>squirrel off somewhere (like $home/lib) and use as an argument
>>to acme's -l option.  See acme(1) for more.

	acme /acme/*/guide
quickly provides a starting point (you can eliminate the bits you don't need);
then Dump as suggested above.

you can put an entry in the file named in 8.5's -i option (in lib/profile)
to start acme with -l:

window '0 71 1024 760' acme -l acme.dump

acme is very nice for programmers who also read email
(or people who read email who also program), but it can
and is used by people who aren't computer scientists to read email.

the main limitation i'd note in the Plan9 version is the clumsiness of
manipulating MIME attachments (MIME itself is clumsy, but what can you do?).
it's possibly worth adding Undo to the Reply windows it creates (though i haven't
yet -- when i need it i type it in the tag myself).

there are some convenient features that follow from general
Acme mouse button rules (eg, click in the string 9fans with button 1,
then click Save with chord button2,button1 to save a given message
in /mail/box/$user/9fans).  thus it's probably worth the effort
to teach the mousing rules well.

* [9fans] more userfriendly mailer like exmh on Plan 9?
@ 1998-09-07  2:57 Russ
From: Russ @ 1998-09-07  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-09-07  1:05 Scott
From: Scott @ 1998-09-07  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)