* [9fans] Mitsumi FX320M
@ 1998-09-10  2:28 arisawa
From: arisawa @ 1998-09-10  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you Russ and Forsyth.
I would like try first along Forsyth.

I wrote:
	pc/devata.c which is distributed by 816407398.rc.
but this is mistake. I tried really on most recent update 824494421.rc.

Forsyth wrote:
>you'll possibly also have to change the code that checks the `reset'
>option because it was in the wrong place in one of the updates.
>(it set the flag after it had been tested.)

Yes, `reset' in plan9.ini is surely ineffective.
The following is the codes in atactlrprobe().
	if((ctlr = xalloc(sizeof(Controller))) == 0)
		return -1;
	ctlr->pbase = port;
	ctlr->ctlrno = ctlrno;
	ctlr->lastcmd = 0xFF;
	/* comments continue ... */
	if(ctlr->resetok){

So I forced reset by removing `if' condition.
Then messages changed from:
	ata0: DHmagic ok
	ata0: ATAI 50 40 3F
	ata0: master diag error 1
	ata1: slave diag status 0, error 1
	ata1: ATAPI slave 0 0 0
	hd0: ...
	hd1: ...
to:
	ata0: DHmagic ok
	ata0: ATAI 50 0 0
	ata0: master diag error 1
	ata1: slave diag status 0, error 1
	ata1: ATAPI slave 0 0 0
	hd0: ...
	hd1: ...

I have another question.
Why my system cannot find fs.
He can talk with hd0....

Kenji Arisawa
E-mail: arisawa@aichi-u.ac.jp

* [9fans] Mitsumi FX320M
@ 1998-09-09  9:49 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1998-09-09  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

the bios and probably other things (eg, windows9x if you're
doing the F8-6 keying before invoking b.com),
can nip in and fiddle with your ATAPI
device, disturbing the signature before
plan9 can see it.  the signature should reappear
if the ata controller is reset by plan9, but some combinations of
controller and device object to that (apparently), so that's
not default.  try adding the `reset' option to the ata0= line
in plan9.ini .  you should make the long->ulong and %lud changes too.
you'll possibly also have to change the code that checks the `reset'
option because it was in the wrong place in one of the updates.
(it set the flag after it had been tested.)
i haven't had a chance to check 816407398.rc to see whether
it has got that mistake.

* [9fans] Mitsumi FX320M
@ 1998-09-09  3:06 arisawa
From: arisawa @ 1998-09-09  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello 9fans.

My home Plan9 co-exist with other OS ( WIn95, FreeBSD ).
I attached Mitsumi CDROM FX320M (ata drive) to the machine.
EIDE are:
	Pri. Master: HD
	Pri. Slave: Mitsumi CDROM FX320M
	Sec. Master: HD
	Sec. Slave: none
Both Win95 and FreeBSD can attach the CDROM.
However Plan9 cannot. Moreover booting results in panic.

Getting more detailed messages, I set DPRINT and XPRINT in
pc/devata.c which is distributed by 816407398.rc.
Then the Kernel messages are:
	ata0: DHmagic ok
	ata0: ATAI 50 40 3F
	ata0: master diag error 1
	ata1: slave diag status 0, error 1
	ata1: ATAPI slave 0 0 0
	hd0: ...
	hd1: ...

These messages come from the function atactlrprobe().
Messages about hd0 and hd1 are correct except total bytes.
(Total bytes are modulated because of 32bits limitation
and not important currently)

Looking the source code, I guess that kernel message
	ata0: ATAI 50 40 3F
must be
	ata0: ATAI  0 EB 14
for the drive to be recognized.

We have two possibilities:
1. Mitsumi CDROM FX320M is not recognized on Plan9.
2. Two drives on pri. (or sec.) cause problems.

So I would like to know:
1. Can I use FX320M?
2. Can I attach two drives as master and slave on primary (or slave).

Thanks,

Kenji Arisawa
E-mail: arisawa@aichi-u.ac.jp