* [9fans] Wish list for acme mail handler
@ 1998-09-10  5:16 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 1998-09-10  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have one more question on acme.   Please be patient of my
too many questtions.  I have now many lists of TODO on
Japanese treatment on Plan 9.  Among them, make mail and
Web browser available is the most important things for every
day use of Plan 9 in Japan.

Is it possible to pipe all the content of a window to another
in acme?  If this is possible, my problem will be solved very
easily.

When I found "Mime-version" in the ignore list, I understand
what the Plan 9 peoples are thinking.  Yes, I agree with your
policy.   However, even Microsoft could not change the default
kanji code from JIS to else. :-)

Kenji

* [9fans] Wish list for acme mail handler
@ 1998-09-17  9:25 miller
From: miller @ 1998-09-17  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com> said:

> Also, if you try to delete
> the window without sending, you'll get an error.

Unfortunately you don't get any warning if you delete the
Mail/mbox/ window while an unsent Reply is still open, although
this breaks Post.  I've seen inexperienced users caught by this.

-- Richard Miller

* [9fans] Wish list for acme mail handler
@ 1998-09-11 13:29 rob
From: rob @ 1998-09-11 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

presotto is being legally accurate but not completely forthcoming.
he's writing a mime reader but i'm writing content decoders for
pictures and whatever else we can parse.  these will be glued into a
variety of tools, including but not limited to edmail.

-rob

* [9fans] Wish list for acme mail handler
@ 1998-09-11 13:01 steve_kilbane
From: steve_kilbane @ 1998-09-11 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/09/98 13:12:55 presotto wrote:

> Apparently I've lost my principles, if ever I had any.  I'm
> doing a full mime mail reader for brazil.

I thought that was more likely to lead you to lose your lunch...

steve

* [9fans] Wish list for acme mail handler
@ 1998-09-11 12:12 presotto
From: presotto @ 1998-09-11 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Apparently I've lost my principles, if ever I had any.  I'm
doing a full mime mail reader for brazil.  We'll figure out
how to release it.
----------------

From: okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 18:27:42 +0900
Subject: re: [9fans] Wish list for acme mail handler
Sender: owner-9fans@cse.psu.edu

Kenji Okamoto wrote:
>Is it possible to pipe all the content of a window to another
>in acme?  If this is possible, my problem will be solved very
>easily.
I cannot understand what you really want to do by this.

According to my understanding, Plan 9 didn't want to accept
MIME.  Then,  I thought it's better to find a way not to change
the Plan 9's princile.  Above is one of such way. :-)

Kenji

* [9fans] Wish list for acme mail handler
@ 1998-09-11  9:27 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 1998-09-11  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-09-11  7:19 arisawa
From: arisawa @ 1998-09-11  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

Kenji Okamoto wrote:
>Is it possible to pipe all the content of a window to another
>in acme?  If this is possible, my problem will be solved very
>easily.
I cannot understand what you really want to do by this.
I assume you want to read/write Japanese mail.

If you want to preprocess your incoming mail, you can do by
piping incoming mail to your mail box.

Japanese mails are encoded using jis.
Subject field is encoded by Mime if Japanese is used there.
I think these incoming mail should be translated to local
encoding before they are stored in local mail box.

You can handle Mime encoding Japanese mail by `nkf' with
combination of `tcs'.
You can find Plan9 version of `nkf' at ftp://plan9.aichi-u.ac.jp/

Mine mail has a lot of things.
However most of mime mails I have ever received include nothing
except plain text. So `nkf' may be enough.
Oh, someone -- a beginner? -- sent me a mime mail with Excel.
So I answered him that I don't have Excel and required him to
send the data using plain text.

It will be difficult to send Japanese mail from Plan9 to internet.
We must encode the mail to jis.
The translation can be automatically done by piping.
The position to pipe is /mail/lib/qmail.
Subject must be encoded to mime format if Japanese is used there.
There is a tool for this purpose on UNIX - MimeKit by Satoh -.
And this is the only one I know.

Porting MimiKit to Plan9 will be difficult.
I tried a few months ago, and I gave up.
The sources are too old and dirty, and more, include too many bugs.
So rigorous Plan9 compiler do not accept them.

Kenji Arisawa
E-mail: arisawa@aichi-u.ac.jp

* [9fans] Wish list for acme mail handler
@ 1998-09-11  3:01 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 1998-09-11  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wow!

Then, I'll try temporal solution only for myself.

Kenji

* [9fans] Wish list for acme mail handler
@ 1998-09-11  1:47 rob
From: rob @ 1998-09-11  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

The distributed version of Acme mail doesn't handle MIME well at all.
It's something that needs to be done, and done well, but nothing
simple is going to help your immediate problems.

-rob

* [9fans] Wish list for acme mail handler
@ 1998-09-10  2:23 Russ
From: Russ @ 1998-09-10  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm setting variable-width font as euro.8.font, and fixed-width
> fona as jis.9.font.   In this setting, acme beginnes with variable-
> font.   However, I want to use jis.9.font as default...

See font(6) for a description of font files.
You can probably easily assemble your own "variable-width"
font that contains "fixed-width" jis characters
and the variable-width latin characters.  I don't
know how nice it would look, but then at least
you wouldn't have to click on font, and the acme
menus would fit better on the screen.

Russ

* [9fans] Wish list for acme mail handler
@ 1998-09-10  1:31 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 1998-09-10  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

>solid (filled in) layout box until you click Post,
>at which point it becomes clear again,

Oups!  yes, now I know it.

@ 1998-09-09  2:13 Russ
From: Russ @ 1998-09-09  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 1) Some notify mechanism to user when I've sent mail.
>      I'm afraid many people would send many same mails.

The window you're writing the reply in will have a
solid (filled in) layout box until you click Post,
at which point it becomes clear again, just like
Put for normal files.  Also, if you try to delete
the window without sending, you'll get an error.

> 2) Font menu in Mail window

I assume you mean having "Font" in the tag in the
mail windows.  That would be trivial to add to the source,
I'd imagine.

> 3) able to change the default font set.

If you mean the font, acme's -f and -F work pretty well.
If you mean change from variable-width to fixed-width,
I would think that would be trivial as well, but don't

@ 1998-09-08 23:40 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 1998-09-08 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

1) Some notify mechanism to user when I've sent mail.
      I'm afraid many people would send many same mails.

2) Font menu in Mail window

3) able to change he default font set.

more...?

Kenji