* [9fans] screenblanker
@ 1998-09-18  5:07 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 1998-09-18  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Scott and Russ.
The combination of them works fine on my 486/120 PC
terminal.  Yes, it saves energy not only display itself.  ^_^

I'd like to apply Russ's cmap version to Sparc ELC,  and
got fails.  Can I do it?

Kenji

* [9fans] screenblanker
@ 1998-09-20  5:20 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 1998-09-20  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Actually, I made "white" cmap for Sparc ELC.
However, it "darkens" only one window partially.  ;_;
What's wrong?

Kenji

* [9fans] screenblanker
@ 1998-09-18 12:09 Russ
From: Russ @ 1998-09-18 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'd like to apply Russ's cmap version to Sparc ELC,  and
> got fails.  Can I do it?

I don't see why not.  You'll need to create the map "black"
in /lib/fb/cmap though, I think.  It's just 768 zeros:

#include <u.h>
#include <libc.h>

char c[3*256];
void main(void) { write(1, c, sizeof c); }

8.out >/lib/fb/cmap/black

* [9fans] screenblanker
@ 1998-09-17  5:15 Russ
From: Russ @ 1998-09-17  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

The screen blanker is (and always has been) at
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/~rsc/plan9/blanker.txt

It's an embarrassing piece of code.  My only defense
is that it was almost two years ago.

The screen blanking really belongs in 8½, not
outside it, and really should have help from the
hardware to make it effective (e.g.. echo -n blank >/dev/vgactl;
echo -n unblank >/dev/vgactl).

That said, the boddle in blanker.txt does work
as advertised without these things.

A nice compromise might be to take Scott Schwartz's vga hardware
modifications and rewrite the shell script included in
blanker.txt to take advantage of them.

Russ

* [9fans] screenblanker
@ 1998-09-17  5:03 Scott
From: Scott @ 1998-09-17  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp writes:
| Unfortunayely, I've lost it, because I changed file server scince
| then.  I tried to seek an archive of this mailing-list, but failed.

The archives are available from majordomo@cse.psu.edu or from my web
page (www.cse.psu.edu/~schwartz).  (Indexing is all but nonexistent,
but I'll see if the computer center is willing to aim their search
engine at it.)

About the screen blanker... the bell-labs screensaver works by setting
the colormap to all black.  I prefered to add hooks to /dev/vga (also
in the archives somewhere) so that you can turn off horizontal or
vertical sync (via vgactl), which tells modern monitors to go into
power save mode.  Considering the amount of heat those things put out,
my living room in the summertime really appreciates it.

* [9fans] screenblanker
@ 1998-09-17  4:51 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 1998-09-17  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I remeber Russ posted his screenblanker about two
years ago.

Unfortunayely, I've lost it, because I changed file server scince
then.  I tried to seek an archive of this mailing-list, but failed.

Would you please mail/post your screenblanker once more?

Kenji