* [9fans] dealing with JIS encoded mail by upas
@ 1998-10-06  9:15 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 1998-10-06  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I put a very quick and dirty patch for dealing with JIS encoded Japanese
mail by upas system.  This is a personal and temporal version.

For incoming mail, it uses /mail/box/{username}/pipeto file, and
for outgoing mail, all the mail body will be filtered through
tcs(*mp, "utf", "jis") call in libtcs library which I also put there.

This works in somecase.  Don't trust me much.  :-)

The url is http://basalt.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp/plan9/p9index.html

Kenji

* [9fans] dealing with JIS encoded mail by upas
@ 1998-10-10  3:57 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 1998-10-10  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

>The last type is de-fact standard in Internet society.

I know this, then, I wrote "I don't knwo why...".

In prctice, I also know that we cannot communicate
with many of "made in Japan" mail readers such adopted
in macs and pcs.

Kenji

* [9fans] dealing with JIS encoded mail by upas
@ 1998-10-10  3:35 arisawa
From: arisawa @ 1998-10-10  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

>A serious bug has been found in libtcs for outputting
>JIS(iso-2022-jp)
>encoded text when using with MIME mail.  In the original program
>in jisjis_ou() function of conv_jis.c, a controle charcter set of
>"ESC(H" will be sent to indicate the end of JIS coded string.
>This doesn't work for MIME encoding, and this controle string
>should be replaced by "ESC(B".  I don't know why...

Using "ESC(H" at the end of JIS is not a bug.
We have four types of JIS delimiter:
1. { ESC$@, ESC(H }	Old JIS
2. { ESC$B, ESC(J }	New JIS (JIS83)
3. { ESC$@, ESC(J }	I don't know where this type is used
4. { ESC$B, ESC(B }	commonly used in mail and net news

JIS83 is used in official Japanese documents and also
in communicating with legacy machines.

The last type is de-fact standard in Internet society.

Kenji Arisawa
E-mail: arisawa@aichi-u.ac.jp

* [9fans] dealing with JIS encoded mail by upas
@ 1998-10-09  9:41 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 1998-10-09  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I put a very quick and dirty patch for dealing with JIS encoded Japanese
>mail by upas system.  This is a personal and temporal version.

A serious bug has been found in libtcs for outputting JIS(iso-2022-jp)
encoded text when using with MIME mail.  In the original program
in jisjis_ou() function of conv_jis.c, a controle charcter set of
"ESC(H" will be sent to indicate the end of JIS coded string.
This doesn't work for MIME encoding, and this controle string
should be replaced by "ESC(B".  I don't know why...

I put this new version on the same url of our secret Web page.

Kenji

PS. This mail is also passing the conversion filter from utf to
jis.  Then, you are reading JIS encoded English-like text.  :-)