* [9fans] Plan9 and laptops with 'suspend'
@ 1998-10-17 19:46 jmk
From: jmk @ 1998-10-17 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

	Does anyone have any experience or tips on installing a standalone
	Plan9 system on a notebook like the Libretto, which uses an area
	on the HD beyond the end of the partition information to store
	the memory image when going into 'suspend' (or is it hibernate,
	I keep getting the two mixed up :-/) mode?

	Seems that this would potentially conflict with the way the PC
	version of Plan9 is setup to use the space after the last fdisk
	partition as its filesystem.

	Are there any updates that causes Plan9 to live within a partition,
	or to leave around 64Mb unused at the end of the disk?

yes, the plan9 partition table is likely to be overwitten in this case.
running diagnostics on a thinkpad 560e does the same thing. at one point
there was the possibility of having the partitions defined in plan9.ini
but i don't think that code ever worked properly and is now gone (if it
ever made it out).

i have all the pieces to make plan9 live within a partition, boot without
dos, etc. but it's not all together and it'll be a while before it is.

having power management for laptops would be great, if someone wanted
to contribute that...

--jim

* [9fans] Plan9 and laptops with 'suspend'
@ 1998-10-17 12:42 Digby
From: Digby @ 1998-10-17 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone have any experience or tips on installing a standalone
Plan9 system on a notebook like the Libretto, which uses an area
on the HD beyond the end of the partition information to store
the memory image when going into 'suspend' (or is it hibernate,
I keep getting the two mixed up :-/) mode?

Seems that this would potentially conflict with the way the PC
version of Plan9 is setup to use the space after the last fdisk
partition as its filesystem.

Are there any updates that causes Plan9 to live within a partition,
or to leave around 64Mb unused at the end of the disk?

Regards,
DigbyT

P.S. Anyone looked at getting a driver going for the Xircom PE3
parallel ethernet adapter? I am told that Xircom are willing to
release programming info now, but someone in the US may have
more luck than me trying to find it. I have an old laptop that could be
dedicated to Plan9 if I could only connect it to the network..

--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                              digbyt@acm.org
http://www.cthulhu.dircon.co.uk