* [9fans] 9pcfs can't init ncr53c8xx. :-(
@ 1998-10-19 14:25 jmk
From: jmk @ 1998-10-19 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

	>the driver to find the card (this card happens to be a Diamond Fireport
	>40). The INIT keeps failing, and I'm not sure if it is because I forgot

although i have no experience with one of these, i believe diamond, for some reason
known only to themselves, changed the device id for the fireport cards from the default
symbios id. the chip is really a symbios (ncr) 53c875 but with a pci device id of 0x8f,
so try adding the lines

	#define SYM_875J_DID	0x008F	/* Diamond Fireport */

and

	{ SYM_875J_DID,   0xff, "SYM53C875J",	Burst128, 16, Prefetch|LocalRAM|BigFifo|Differential|Wide|Ultra|ClockDouble },

at the obvious places in the driver.

you shouldn't need any 'port=...' in plan9.ini, the driver should work that out.

--jim

* [9fans] 9pcfs can't init ncr53c8xx. :-(
@ 1998-10-20  2:19 mjahn
From: mjahn @ 1998-10-20  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <199810191434.KAA08126@cse.psu.edu>,
  9fans@cse.psu.edu wrote:
> 	>the driver to find the card (this card happens to be a Diamond Fireport
> 	>40). The INIT keeps failing, and I'm not sure if it is because I forgot
>
> although i have no experience with one of these, i believe diamond, for some
>reason
> known only to themselves, changed the device id for the fireport cards from
>the default
> symbios id. the chip is really a symbios (ncr) 53c875 but with a pci device
>id of 0x8f,

  The change was due to the need to change the Subsystem and the Subsystem
Vendor ID to a non-zero number to be PCI 2.1 and PC 98 compliant.  The Device
ID was changed as well since this was a different chip from the standard
Symbios release, and would eliminate manufacturing confusion (boards with the
wrong chip would be found very quickly).  The FirePort 40 Dual did not need to
implement this solution since the Subsystem and Subsystem Vendor IDs can be
programmed through software (by the board manufacturer), and therefore has the
same device ID as the Symbios part (0x0f).  So now you know :)

-Mark

@ 1998-10-19  6:14 James
From: James @ 1998-10-19  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, I got the new 9pcfs kernel to compile. Jim McKie very kindly pointed
out that I really did need to remember little C-isms like prototyping!  :)

Now that I have the new kernel compiled, I'm having trouble getting
the driver to find the card (this card happens to be a Diamond Fireport
40). The INIT keeps failing, and I'm not sure if it is because I forgot
some vital piece of code, or if I'm not passing it the right arguments.

In detail, the card is failing within a loop of calls which seem to try
probing for the existance of the pci card. From my print statements,
what is going on is this:

	scsi.c calls ncr53c8xxreset ...
		ncr53c8xxreset calls init ...
				for (var = 0; var < MAXVAR; var++) {
					pcicfg.did = variant[var].did;
					devno = 0;
					if((devno = pcimatch(0, devno, &pcicfg)) < 0)
						continue;
					if(pcicfg.rid <= variant[var].maxrid)
						break;
				}
				if (var >= MAXVAR) {
					return 0;
				}

>From my tests, var is ending up greater than or equal to MAXVAR.  So does
this indicate that it couldn't find the PCI card? One potential problem
is that, while the card is on IRQ 11, I don't know what port it is using.
I tried the following in plan9.ini (scsi0=ncr53c8xx port=0xNNN): 0x130,
0x134, 0x230, 0x290, 0x234, 0x330, 0x334, 0x3c0, 0x3d0.

One thing to note is that the card and drive do work under DR-DOS.
I hooked up the card and drive, stuck in a DR-DOS boot floppy, and
fdisk saw drive C: as the 9gig SCSI drive.  I would guess this means
there is some common port/irq handler at work here, but since I don't
have my PC hardware bible at hand... (for some reason 'INT3H handler'
is in the back of my mind).

Any help would be very much appreciated. :)

Jim