* [9fans] 8.5 for NT available ?
@ 1998-10-22 20:46 Steve
From: Steve @ 1998-10-22 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Re NT sam extras:
The extras ls, cat, rm etc all come with the seccond release of SAM for
Win32 - fairly old now.
The exciting bit is rcsh.exe the RC shell. This is where I fall down, it
seems unusable as must
DOS/GNU etc commands hang when they exit. If you then hit close window they
return before the
exit now / cancel / wait a bit longer dialogue box appears.

I have to admit I am not a Perl fan but would be happy with awk and rc if I

could just get them to coexist.

Re 9wm + Sam -v- Acme/Wiley:
I never got into wiley or acme, I stuck with 8.5 and sam.
I very happily used sam and 9wm and rc on Unix in my previous job and never
met any
problems with window placement which I prefer to be in control of.

-Steve

* [9fans] 8.5 for NT available ?
@ 1998-10-22  9:44 steve_kilbane
From: steve_kilbane @ 1998-10-22  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21/10/98 21:21:00 steve Simon  wrote:

> The NT version of the rc shell does not notice when many (most ?) DOS
> commands exit so I can only use ls, cat, echo, rm, sort, fmt and wc -
This
> is a bit limiting.
<blink> my version of sam must be fairly old; don't recall getting any
extras with it. Maybe I didn't notice...

> Is anyone working on a 9WM like program for NT, or even know if it is
> possible (without breaking support for MSOffice and the like)?
<OBDIG>Support for MSOffice comes broken out of the box</OBDIG>

More seriously, I don't think a 9wm interface would work on NT. I know that
it doesn't work well for a lot of X programs, that expect auto-placement of
windows.

I suspect that a better solution would be an acme-style port program,
because that's more self-contained (it's solving a different problem,
though). I can envisage something like acme plus a sensible scripting
language being a good basis for a toolchest approach to NT. I'd recommend
Perl as a good language, because it's got NT libraries, works well, and
doesn't assume a GUI. I know some people consider it ugly, but this _is_ an
NT solution we're talking about.

> I suppose it all comes down to asking if there is any chance of getting a
> copy of the Plan9 compatibility C library that was used to port the above
> utils - object only would do though source would be nice :-) This way I
> could recompile my Plan9 sources myself.
There's been some work on distributing Wily and libXg separately on the
wilyfans list - that would be a good basis for any NT port, but I'd expect
them to need some *major* rewriting. Once that's sorted, most of Wily
should move across quite simply (by comparison). Just the IPC stuff would
cause problems, and that's simpler than porting acme, with its file
interface...

steve

* [9fans] 8.5 for NT available ?
@ 1998-10-21 20:21 steve
From: steve @ 1998-10-21 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I sent something similar to this before but that was during the broken
comp.os.plan9 phase and I never saw a reply, I apologies if you have
already seen this.

I love plan9, but, I have to use NT for work.

I love having the Win32 version of SAM and the few utilities that come with
it, but, I have problems.

The NT version of the rc shell does not notice when many (most ?) DOS
commands exit so I can only use ls, cat, echo, rm, sort, fmt and wc - This
is a bit limiting.

I also miss 8.5 and wish I could have a 9wm like application under NT.

So...

Does anyone understand exactly how Win32 applications inform their calling
program that they have exited, the old MSDOS interrupt is obviously not
sufficient?

Is anyone working on a 9WM like program for NT, or even know if it is
possible (without breaking support for MSOffice and the like)?

Do I have to just grin and bear it and use MKS/UWIN/GNU utils or is there a
nicer way to live?

I suppose it all comes down to asking if there is any chance of getting a
copy of the Plan9 compatibility C library that was used to port the above
utils - object only would do though source would be nice :-) This way I
could recompile my Plan9 sources myself.

Is this library is part of the NT port of Inferno and thus off limits? If
so could Forsyth sell me a copy as his company is a reseller?

-Steve