* [9fans] namespaces
@ 1998-10-26  9:58 Bengt
From: Bengt @ 1998-10-26  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > how does one communicate the location of a file to a colleague

> if you have terminal helix, your colleague could type
> 	import helix /a/b/c/d/file /where/ever/he/wants/to/place/file

neither i have a full system up and going, but does not the "import" command
expect to be able to communicate with a server on "helix"? ie, do not forget to
start the server on "helix". preferable with some trimmed down namespace that only
allows the importer to see "/a/b/c/d/file"

right? (question to those that have full systems)

Best Wishes, Bengt
Everything aforementioned should be regarded as totally private
opinions, and nothing else. bengt@softwell.se
``His great strength is that he is uncompromising. It would make
him physically ill to think of programming in C++.''

* [9fans] namespaces
@ 1998-10-25  7:13 James
From: James @ 1998-10-25  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I apologise if some of you see this twice, I posted to comp.os.plan9,
> however my article still hasn't appeared (is there a moderation process?)

It seems like mail to the list gets sent to the newsgroup, but not vice
versa. Makes sense -- no spam this way!

> how does one communicate the location of a file to a colleague, since
> they will more than likely have a different absolute path name that
> represents the resource in question? To illustrate, How can I tell a
> friend to obtain a copy of /a/b/c/d/file when he may not even have /a
> in his 'private view' of the system? Or is there some restriction on
> where one can 'bind' file trees?

I don't have a full system, so I can't really test this out, but...
I had thought that most stuff mounted off the file server is going to
be visible the same way to everyone on a terminal.  Second, from what I
read, it looks like you could use 9p to automagically share whatever it
is you want to let your colleague use. So if you have terminal helix,
your colleague could type

	import helix /a/b/c/d/file /where/ever/he/wants/to/place/file

Jim

* [9fans] namespaces
@ 1998-10-25  5:22 Russell
From: Russell @ 1998-10-25  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I apologise if some of you see this twice, I posted to comp.os.plan9,
however my article still hasn't appeared (is there a moderation process?)

Here was my post, hopefully one of you can help.

----
I have a (possibly inane) question regarding files and namespaces in
plan9. From my somewhat limited understanding of how everything fits
together, I'm a little confused about the following. Since every user has
a private conception of all resources the system provides (including
files) how does one communicate the location of a file to a colleague,
since they will more than likely have a different absolute path name
that represents the resource in question? To illustrate, How can I tell
a friend to obtain a copy of /a/b/c/d/file when he may not even have /a
in his 'private view' of the system? Or is there some restriction on
where one can 'bind' file trees?

thanks,
        r.
----