* [9fans] udp: packet too big? wtf?
@ 1998-10-29  8:12 James
From: James @ 1998-10-29  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> if you've changed the name of the authid from bootes to root,
> check that the top of /adm/users reads
> 	-1:adm:adm:root
> by default (although i don't suppose it makes much difference),

This was the problem! I had done

	newuser root +adm

Instead of

	newuser adm +root

Now I can log in on the CPU server and edit files without
the file server being in 'allow' mode. :)

Thanks!

Jim

* [9fans] udp: packet too big? wtf?
@ 1998-10-28 10:29 James
From: James @ 1998-10-28 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've got my auth server running, and have it mounting off the file server.
Now I'm trying to get a terminal to run. I've turned bootp debugging
on, and it is returning the right file, /386/9pc, to the terminal. But
the terminal is complaining 'udp: packet too big'... Anyone deal with
this before?

Naturally, I've also got a 'Really Stupid' question... I seem to have
somehow messed up in the steps for authentication of the fileserver and
cpu/auth server.  When I rebooted my machines, I found that, while the
auth server could mount the file server just fine, I couldn't write to
anything -- permission was denied.

I added my authid to sys and adm, thinking that perhaps I needed to be
in those groups in order to write things like /lib/ndb. But no, that
didn't help matters.  Right now, I'm just running the file server in
'allow' mode, but I don't want to 'make a habit' out of doing that! :)

I followed the instructions laid out in 'Installing the Plan 9
Distribution' pretty carefully.  I set up the file server, configured
it, and left it running after it initialized the disk. I set up 'users
default' and set the date. I installed the CD-ROM to the server,
and then configured my stand-alone machine to be a CPU/Auth server.
I set the passwd on the file server, set authid to 'root', domain to
stanford.edu, and ran 'newuser root.' Back at the ranch, I mean cpu
server, I booted up, set ip addresses (using 0.1.0.0 for the auth server),
and ran 'auth/changeuser root' after I logged in.  Did I miss something?
I've gone through various posts to this list, and have checked that
I've got the il ticket defined in ndb/local, and that I'm running keyfs
and listen...

	#
	# Networks
	#
	ipnet=highwire ip=36.48.0.0 ipmask=255.255.0.0
		ipgw=36.48.0.1
		fs=bela.stanford.edu
		auth=ruler

	#
	# CPU/Auth servers
	#
	ip=36.48.0.135 ether=0060977e685a sys=ruler
		dom=ruler.stanford.edu
		bootf=9pccpudisk
		auth=ruler
		proto=il

	#
	# File servers
	#
	ip=36.48.0.137 ether=00a02425fb61 sys=bela
		dom=bela.stanford.edu
		proto=il

	#
	# Terminals
	#
	ip=35.48.0.141 ether=0060976a8e12 sys=eros
		dom=eros.stanford.edu
		bootf=/386/9pc
		auth=ruler
		proto=il

	ip=35.48.0.150 ether=00000f00d1be sys=slab
		dom=slab.stanford.edu
		bootf=/68020/9nextstation
		auth=ruler
		proto=il