* [9fans] Re: DMR's OS :(
@ 1998-11-04  8:01 Nigel
From: Nigel @ 1998-11-04  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I quite agree. One point though, I not aware of any browser that
deserves the sobriquet "superior". Which one is it?

From: okamoto @ 1998-11-09  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

>	standard though.  :-)
>
>Could you elaborate on that a little? Thanks.

For an example, Plan 9 uses Unicode to deal with many
languages, and UTF-8 for its communication.
I agree with those choices as a reasonable base.

However, unfortunately, there have been locale
standard in many advanced countries.  Japan
is not an exception of this.  We have to communicate
with many others based on those "localed" machines.
Well, network is communication!

In such a situation, we have always two choices, one
is accepting the foregoing standard, which free-unices
are following as, and the other is a harder way where
we are now facing.  Logically speaking, the latter
is wright.  However,... Plan 9 might be too much logical
for many of general users.  Furthermore, according to my
understanding, those general users seem to be getting
controle of the future networking environment as a
large mass.  It's not worthy to teach them what is better
from technical point of view.

For an example, if we want to use TeX( I mean
Japanese version), we have to work more than
those of other free-unix users.

Kenji

* [9fans] Re: DMR's OS :(
@ 1998-11-09  4:00 jmk
From: jmk @ 1998-11-09  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

	From: okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
	I have one point regarding its international
	nature from the bottom.  We have to fight against old
	standard though.  :-)

Could you elaborate on that a little? Thanks.

--jim

* [9fans] Re: DMR's OS :(
@ 1998-11-09  1:56 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 1998-11-09  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  "then again, cat > /dev/null is often just as good a news re>ader as any."

Plan 9 reduced much unneccessary efforts from system
management and programming.   Yes, I deeply agree.

However, it'd be better, I think, to consider what would be
her merrit for general users like me.  Genral users don't
care what ever the system is.  They have interests only
on applications.  I have one point regarding its international
nature from the bottom.  We have to fight against old
standard though.  :-)

Sorry of delay of response.  I've just returned from
Maui.

Kenji

* [9fans] Re: DMR's OS :(
@ 1998-11-04 11:21 James
From: James @ 1998-11-04 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-11-04  9:40 steve_kilbane
From: steve_kilbane @ 1998-11-04  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04/11/98 08:01:07 Nigel Roles  wrote:

> I quite agree. One point though, I not aware of any browser that
> deserves the sobriquet "superior". Which one is it?
I feel that forsyth's point from long ago is just as valid to web browsers:

  "then again, cat > /dev/null is often just as good a news reader as any."

steve

* [9fans] Re: DMR's OS :(
@ 1998-11-04  0:31 Fariborz
From: Fariborz @ 1998-11-04  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)