* [9fans] Nameserver Question
@ 1998-11-04 16:24 Russ
From: Russ @ 1998-11-04 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's also worth pointing out that you don't really
need to know the names of your nameservers.  Just
make them up!

I just use this and it works fine for me.

dom=
	ns=harvard0
	ns=harvard1
	ns=harvard2

dom=harvard0 ip=140.247.21.21
dom=harvard1 ip=140.247.21.22
dom=harvard2 ip=128.103.200.101

Remember that after you change this, you'll
need to restart dns, and the easiest way to
do this is to just reboot [sic].

Russ

* [9fans] Nameserver Question
@ 1998-11-09  5:15 Erik
From: Erik @ 1998-11-09  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed 04 Nov, Michael Carmody wrote:
> James A. Robinson wrote:
>
> > > to locate a URL that isn't a file on my local machine  I get the error:
> > > cs: can't translate address.
> >
> > Can you run ndb/dnsquery?
> >

> No, this command doesn't seem to exist on the pc distribution..

Yes it does, if you purchase the complete distribution for $350.  The
download/eval doesn't include it.  Most things don't exist in the 4 disk
set.

Erik

--
"Where do WE want YOU to go today" - Microsoft

Erik Theisen            Glenayre Electronics, Inc.   (W) +1 770 2832648
                        11360 Lakefield Drive        (F) +1 770 4973984
                        Duluth, GA 30097             (H) +1 770 6225354
                        USA

* [9fans] Nameserver Question
@ 1998-11-06 11:05 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1998-11-06 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

don't forget to check that ndb/dns is actually running.
ndb/cs uses it (via /srv/dns union mounted on /net) to
translate domain names.
ps will show you if the ndb/dns
is running.  if it isn't you'll need to start it in /rc/bin/termrc
(or start it in /rc/bin/cpurc on a cpu server and import it in /rc/bin/termrc).

* [9fans] Nameserver Question
@ 1998-11-05  2:58 Michael
From: Michael @ 1998-11-05  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

James A. Robinson wrote:

> > to locate a URL that isn't a file on my local machine  I get the error:
> > cs: can't translate address.
>
> Can you run ndb/dnsquery?

No, this command doesn't seem to exist on the pc distribution..

>         term% ndb/dnsquery
>         > aubrey.stanford.edu
>         aubrey.stanford.edu ip  36.48.0.102
>
> Your gateway is set up with the entry for the network:
>         #
>         # Networks
>         #
>         ipnet=myrandomlocalnetname ip=36.48.0.0 ipmask=255.255.0.0
>                 ipgw=36.48.0.1
>                 fs=myfileservername.domain.org
>                 auth=mycpuservername
>
> > I have the ip addresses of the nameservers, but not what they are called
>
> You can find out the name by using nslookup from your linux box:
>         #maturin:~
>         ; nslookup 171.64.7.55
>         Server:  ns.mediacity.com
>         Address:  205.216.172.10
>
>         Name:    caribou.Stanford.EDU
>         Address:  171.64.7.55

  I used nslookup from my linux box and got the names of the servers like you
suggested. I put them in my /lib/ndb/local file but still get the error
"can't translate address". I'll include my /lib/ndb/local file this time in
case there is any obvious error.

#
#  external internet domain service
#
dom=
        ns=ns1.worldnet.att.net
        ns=ns3.worldnet.att.net

dom=ns1.worldnet.att.net ip=204.127.129.1
dom=ns3.worldnet.att.net ip=204.127.160.1

#
#  your PC (edit to suit)
#
sys = carrera
        dom=carrera.plan9.org
        ip=165.238.0.36 ether=0020afec18ca ipmask=255.255.255.0
        ipgw=165.238.0.33
        bootfile=/386/9pcdisk
        proto=il

There isn't a section titled network like in your example but there is this
in the ndb file supplied with the PC distribution which I haven't changed.:

#
#  your ip networks and subnets (edit to suit)
#
ipnet=mh-astro-net ip=135.104.0.0 ipmask=255.255.255.0
        ipgw=135.104.9.1
        fs=bootes.research.att.com
        auth=1127auth
ipnet=third-floor ip=135.104.51.0
        ipgw=135.104.51.1
ipnet=fourth-floor ip=135.104.52.0
        ipgw=135.104.52.1

Anything under this point was unchanged from the origimal file on the pc
distribution.
There is a lot of stuff that looks like all Bell labs internal stuff. Is
there anything obvious missing?

Thanks,
Mike

* [9fans] Nameserver Question
@ 1998-11-04 23:45 James
From: James @ 1998-11-04 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> to locate a URL that isn't a file on my local machine  I get the error:
> cs: can't translate address.

Can you run ndb/dnsquery?

	term% ndb/dnsquery

@ 1998-11-04  1:05 Michael
From: Michael @ 1998-11-04  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks to all who responded to my question.  Unfortunately I'm still not
able to get the nameserver thing to work.  Most of the trouble is due to
my inexperience, but I'm going to keep trying. Using Mothra when I try
to locate a URL that isn't a file on my local machine  I get the error:
cs: can't translate address.  Maybe by looking at how things work under
Linux I can get Plan 9 working.

Under Linux I have a file called /etc/route.conf.  In that file there is
one line that says:
        default xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the ip address of my gateway.
I also have a file called /resolv.conf. In that file there are 3 lines :

        nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
I have the ip addresses of the nameservers, but not what they are called
(like caribou.stanford.edu)

My understanding of how all this works is pretty dim, but I think if the
address, or name can't be found on my machine (it never can), the
default is to send it to the gateway.  Anyway it works ok under Linux.
Is it possible to accomplish this with Plan 9?

Michael

* [9fans] Nameserver question
@ 1998-11-03 23:35 James
From: James @ 1998-11-03 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've loaded the diskette version of Plan 9 on my pc.  The ethernet card
> is recognized ok.  My question is how do the entries for the
> nameservers appear in the ndb file?  The installation guide shows
> examples for the ip and gateway, but doesn't mention nameservers.

If you don't plan to be a domain-level server yourself, you may
want to piggy-back off whatever domain-level server does exist
for your network. What I have in mine is:

	dom=
		ns=cilantro.stanford.edu
		ns=cassandra.stanford.edu
		ns=caribou.stanford.edu
	dom=cilantro.stanford.edu ip=171.64.7.99
	dom=cassandra.stanford.edu ip=171.64.7.77
	dom=caribou.stanford.edu ip=171.64.7.55

The above gives me full DNS capability off of the Stanford DNS system.
Of course, this also means that if their DNS has a bad cache or
something, I won't be able to do anything about it.

And, as was shown earlier, you can have specific dom=<nameserver.domain.name>
entries for specific domains, or have a 'dom=<blank>' entry with a list of
the root-level DNS servers.

Jim

* [9fans] Nameserver question
@ 1998-11-03  8:14 Scott
From: Scott @ 1998-11-03  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Carmody <sanfranmike@worldnet.att.net> writes:
| I've loaded the diskette version of Plan 9 on my pc.  The ethernet card
| is recognized ok.  My question is how do the entries for the
| nameservers appear in the ndb file?  The installation guide shows
| examples for the ip and gateway, but doesn't mention nameservers.

Something like:

dom=
	ns=A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET