* [9fans] pop3 client
@ 1998-12-01  0:56 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1998-12-01  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>it would be to port to Plan 9.  It delivers the mail by connecting
>>to port 25 of the local machine, so you'ld need to be running
>>smtpd, and you'ld need David Butler's loopback device to get 127.>>0.0.1.

alternatively, just pipe: cat /bin/service/tcp25 and follow instructions,
for the far end of the pipe.

* [9fans] pop3 client
@ 1998-12-01  4:47 Russ
From: Russ @ 1998-12-01  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Actually a generic mail file system interface would
be more in the spirit.  Have a mailfs that talks Plan9 (Unix)
mail boxes, have a separate one that does POP3, have another
that does IMAP, etc.

I'm actually working on a generic library to make
writing 9P servers even less painless; POP3 is on the
list of things to do.  Should be done in a month or two.

Russ

* [9fans] pop3 client
@ 1998-12-01  1:07 Scott
From: Scott @ 1998-12-01  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Actually fetchmail has an option to run the delivery agent of your
choice.  tcp25 is just the default.

Drifting away from pop for a moment, a 9p interface to imap would be
somewhat more interesting, as well as more in the plan9 spirit.

* [9fans] pop3 client
@ 1998-11-30 23:02 Russ
From: Russ @ 1998-11-30 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

There's a pop3 client I wrote and used for a while a year ago
at http://plan9.bell-labs.com/~rsc/pop3get.c

It's somewhat rough, but if you're willing to spend a little
time hacking at it it's probably fairly usable.

The invocation was something like
	pop3get -drN maxsize -s secretfile server

-d deletes the messages when done.  if you don't delete, you'll
get the same messages next time.

-r reads the mail box in reverse order; you won't need this flag.
-N max sets a maximum message size to download.
-s secretfile reads a password from file.

pop3get downloads the mail and then runs upas/sendmail to
deliver it to the local user.

There are references to MD5 routines from a non-existant
<libcrypt.h> to do challenge-response authentication.
If all you want is password, just comment out the MD5 calls and
specify the -p flag to use plaintext passwords.
If you want challenge-response, you can probably pull the
appropriate MD5 code from /sys/src/cmd/md5sum.c

Finally, you'll see that the sendmail call calls
upas/mysendmail and not upas/sendmail.
I think the difference was that mysendmail pulled
the sender from the From: line if there was no
Unix-style From line; that was some bit of ugliness
I never got around.  I don't remember.

Like I said, it's a little rough in places, but it's a start.
I'ld be interested in any changes.

An alternative place to look would be Eric Raymond's fetchmail,
which does a functionally similar thing; I don't know how hard

@ 1998-11-30 22:48 pat
From: pat @ 1998-11-30 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to access mail on a unix server
running pop3 from my plan9 system without having to
'con' to a unix host. Any suggestions? Is there a
pop3 client up and running in plan9 which integrates
to upas?

Thanks for the help.

Pat

reply-to: pat.hacker@tek.com