* [9fans] A Plan9 ftp server as a test system?
@ 1998-12-19 20:51 G.David
From: G.David @ 1998-12-19 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now for a little fun.

I needed to test the ability of my Plan9 system to
handle some load, so I have put up a test system.
It will be up until I am satisfied that it can
perform.

Because it was easy and it will test the system
in all the ways I need it tested, I put up a
public anonymous ftp server, ftp2.dbSystems.com.
It is NOT for illegal use!

The architecture looks like (you will need a fixed
font to view this):

Auth/CPU --- 10bT Hub --- Root File
 Server         |          Server
            128k ISDN
              Router

             ISP 'A'

         "The Internet"

             ISP 'B'

               DS3
              Router

              100bT

  +------- 10bT Switch -----+
  |                         |
 CPU         (VLAN)        CPU
Server                   Server
 CPU ----- 10bT Switch --- CPU

              File
             Server
         24 Gb of logged
       and mirrored storage

Yup, il routes across the internet.

This allows me to use all the CPU servers
as Plan9 cpu servers.  When it gets real,
I will have a remote auth server and run
the internet server platforms as a user
other than bootes.

ftp2.dbSystems.com has two IP addresses
(for the two cpu servers) connected to
the root file server with the local
file server mounted and bound in with
this part of the cpurc script:

case remotecpuserer
        ip/ipconfig -b
        bind -a '#l1' /net
        ip/ipconfig -b -e ether1 -m local_mask local_ip
        ndb/dns
        srv local_fs
        mount /srv/local_fs /n
        bind /n/lib/namespace.ftp /lib/namespace.ftp
        bind /n/sys/log /sys/log
        aux/listen -d /bin/service.small il
        aux/listen -d /bin/service.small tcp

This allows a very restricted environment for the remote
cpu servers.

This local namespace.ftp looks like:
mount -a #s/boot /
mount -a #s/local_fs /n
bind /n/lib /lib
bind -c /lib/tftpd /

Plan9 allows some cool stuff...

David Butler
gdb@dbSystems.com

only message in thread, other threads:[~1998-12-19 20:51 UTC | newest]