* [9fans] fileserver to PC port???
@ 1998-12-28 10:11 Bengt
From: Bengt @ 1998-12-28 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

greetings,

the plan9 cd-rom has a fileserver for pc (9fs) that only does scsi disks.
the toronto faq mentiones that there is a user contributed fileserver for pc.
conceivably this could mean a 9fs for ide disks. or somehting else.

i would be interested in a 9fs for ide disks. all my scsi disks are internal
(and in use), but i have a 1 GB ide disk laying around.

Best Wishes, Bengt
Everything aforementioned should be regarded as totally private
opinions, and nothing else. bengt@softwell.se
``His great strength is that he is uncompromising. It would make
him physically ill to think of programming in C++.''

* [9fans] fileserver to PC port???
@ 1999-01-11 17:26 Eric
From: Eric @ 1999-01-11 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jan 10, 1999 at 09:13:21AM +0000, forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote:
> >>i would be interested in a 9fs for ide disks. all my scsi disks are internal
>
> years ago for someone else i did a quick version of 9pcfs
> that supported IDE discs.  i can't find the changes,
> which implemented the file server's scsi
> interface to a modified devata.c.

I have such a beast; it works but doesn't take advantage of the more
'esoteric' DMA and PIO options.  If the original poster is still
interested he can email me directly and I can send a diff.  Note
that it won't fileserve out of partitions, but uses an entire disk just
like the scsi implementation.  I've used it on 2 disks stacked together
as a single striped filesystem, and should work with 4 disks.

The PC ide interface is unnecessarily complicated with much legacy cruft.
Adding more PIO and DMA flexibility would not be difficult but
exceedingly tedious (see freebsd WD driver: yuk!)  .  IMO scsi is a
better win for FS's even for small #s of disk units, if only from an
ease of implementation standpoint.

Eric Dorman
edorman@ucsd.edu

* [9fans] fileserver to PC port???