* [9fans] fileserver to PC.
@ 1999-02-05 16:18 Eric
From: Eric @ 1999-02-05 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8, Size: 256 bytes --]

On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 07:59:19PM +0000, Franklin Robert Araujo França wrote:

>     Hello Eric. I'd like to know if you can send to me the Plan9 IDE
>File Server?
>     Thanks.
> Franklin.

u bet.  i'll get it off this weekend.

eld

* [9fans] fileserver to PC.
@ 1999-02-07  6:35 Eric
From: Eric @ 1999-02-07  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I've posted my cheezy IDE fileserver code in the
following place:
 http://www-radiology.ucsd.edu/pub/Plan9/*.rc

There are two boddles, one for fs/pc and another for
fs/port.  The IDE support gives the IDE controllers device
code 'h', like 'w' for scsi disks.

I haven't incorporated anything like gdb's fixes to the
config syntax, so you have to say

 filsys main [h0.0.0h1.0.0]

to stripe across two masters rather than something nice
like [h0.0h1.0].  Note that only IDE masters work; I didn't
get around to getting slaves (e.g h0.1 and h1.1) to work;
the init code somehow messes them up.  The driver assumes
the IDEs have the usual PC ioaddrs. It does not use any
DMA or PIO modes, so should work on just about any
hardware.  Similar to the SCSI implementation, the driver
ignores any existing partition structure on the disks so
you have to boot the fs from floppy.  I've run this code
with 2x3.5G maxtors reliably, and I don't *think* it has
any weirdness that precludes using larger drives.

It might be a useful starting point for furthur work, or
perhaps an example of how not to do it :)

Regards,

Eric Dorman
edorman@tanya.ucsd.edu

* [9fans] fileserver to PC.