* [9fans] 3c905
@ 1999-02-10 12:48 Janusz
From: Janusz @ 1999-02-10 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi fans,
I used ether=type=3C509 in plan9.ini (as advised
somewhere for 3C905). I have tried 3C905B with
"rx timeout" message after running b.com.
It is strange that 9pc can not work with the
driver b.com uses successfully.
I would be glad if the card (3c905 tx) would work
at all (no full-duplex and 100 Mb/s), because
the wd8013 that I used last year are gone away
from our pc-lab.
If full source for a new etherelnk3.c does not
solve the problem (I have installed all updates
boddles ported so far), maybe it would be good
to make available a 9pc (with tcp fs for me)
that can handle 3c905 ? (forsyth's move now,
would be very appreciated...)
It would be some progress, because this problem
persists for a year or two...
Graphics 9term for unix/windows would be also
very nice way out...
Thanks for replies and excuse me for NIS mistaking
my UID as httpd.
			Janusz Oleniacz

* [9fans] 3c905
@ 1999-02-10  4:09 Lucio
From: Lucio @ 1999-02-10  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

According to forsyth:

> i haven't got any 905Bs.

Shit, I have two of them gathering dust.  Is it worth shipping them to
you and eventually getting them back?  Between the South African and UK
postal system, meybe if I send them in separate packages you'll get one
of them :-)

I note that NetBSD will only support them in the next release, FreeBSD
didn't support them as of 2.2.7 and I understand that Linux support is
in style: fast but shoddy code.

Anyway, let me know if there's a benefit in shipping them, I may find
someone willing to bring them over in a future trip to the UK.

++L

* [9fans] 3c905
@ 1999-02-09 18:49 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1999-02-09 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> he may have a 905b and not realise it's different.
>>>
>>Very different...  Is _that_ oddity supported?

etherelnk3.c supports the various busmastering modes,
backing off where required from various bugs (eg, in the 595).
i've only tried (buggy) 595 and 3c905 XL,
in both 10 and 100 modes.
i haven't got any 905Bs.
thus booting wasn't a problem, although b.com's driver does need
the change posted here ages ago to set the right
receive threshold value (something like that),
and i might have had to twiddle the media selection
(i certainly made both changes to the file server's driver).

i think the pnic ended up being faster (same machine
and environment) in the trivial test i ran when
i exchanged cards in my home machine.

* [9fans] 3c905
@ 1999-02-09 18:34 jmk
From: jmk @ 1999-02-09 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

	According to Jim McKie:

	> he may have a 905b and not realise it's different.

	Very different...  Is _that_ oddity supported?

yes, but not in the bootstrap programmes.

* [9fans] 3c905
@ 1999-02-09 18:30 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1999-02-09 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>he may have a 905b and not realise it's different.

yes, that's true

* [9fans] 3c905
@ 1999-02-09 17:20 Lucio
From: Lucio @ 1999-02-09 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

According to Jim McKie:

@ 1999-02-09 17:07 jmk
From: jmk @ 1999-02-09 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

	having said all that,
	i am certain i have used the 3c905 with the old 509 driver, even at 100mbit
(	without DMA using the old PIO interface).  it might need small changes
	to detect the card and configure it correctly (changes are needed for 100mbit operation).
	how do you define it in plan9.ini?

@ 1999-02-09 16:13 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1999-02-09 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

i have got a port of jim mckie's updated driver that supports the 905
(etherelnk3.c).  it uses a revised devether.c from nigel roles
that makes it easier to slot in brazil ether drivers
by faking some of the brazil environment.  it needs changes elsewhere
in the kernel.  i have been using it for several months
with 3c905, 3c509, and netgear PNIC-based chips, at 10 and 100mbits,
half and full-duplex (not all combinations).  i'll see if i can
put a boddle collection together.

@ 1999-02-09 14:26 httpd
From: httpd @ 1999-02-09 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!
I have noticed that it was already pointed out,
but no solution can be found anywhere...
9pc gets booted and then: "no free ethers" +-
regards
j.oleniacz