* [9fans] Argh -- auth checklist?
@ 1999-02-24 23:48 Dorman, Eric
From: Dorman, Eric @ 1999-02-24 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

[xxx]
> I've
> got an entry in /lib/ndb/local stating that il=ticket port=566.

heh heh heh.  One of the more annoying bugs :)

> If I try and telnet in as anyone other then none, instead of getting a
> challenge I immeditely get back a failure:
>
>     ; telnet <myauthserver>
>     Connected to <myauthserver.stanford.edu>.
>     Escape character is '^]'.
>     user: jimr
>     authentication failure
>     Connection closed by foreign host.

I don't know whether the auth/keyfs stuff generates diagnostic
output in /sys/log/auth or somewhere... i know auth.srv puts
cryptic stuff there when terminal auth fails for some reason.

[xx]
> Jim

Eric Dorman
eric.l.dorman@cpmx.saic.com

* [9fans] Argh -- auth checklist?
@ 1999-02-25 17:55 Berry
From: Berry @ 1999-02-25 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 08:41 AM 2/25/99 +0000, steve.kilbane@ind.alstom.com wrote:
>On 24/02/99 23:38:37 forsyth wrote:
>
>> delightful nymphs will swoon in your company, etc.

>...which sounds more frustrating than anything else. :-)

Yeah, I hate it when that happens...

* [9fans] Argh -- auth checklist?
@ 1999-02-25  8:41 steve.kilbane
From: steve.kilbane @ 1999-02-25  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-02-25  4:02 Lucio
From: Lucio @ 1999-02-25  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

According to Charles Forsyth:

> i suspect there is a small step that's either easy to miss out
> or easy to insert (given extrasensory knowledge).  i've set up
> several plan9 systems several times without trouble, but there
> seems to be Some Thing that i inadvertently do right or others
> accidentally do wrong: too many other people have had trouble.

Well, I managed to get the actual IP address into the encrypted auth
server configuration thingy (I think it's a separate partition) and to
this day I've been wondering how to change it.  Of course, I could
browse throught the sources, but each time that would take longer than
waiting for the AS to time out :-(

> >>itself is the authserver? I have to use 0.1.0.0 as the auth
> >>server IP address, or it won't boot up (the default says it
>
> try setting the address in /lib/ndb/local for auth= should to the
> true IP address.  use 0.1.0.0 only for the prompt for auth server
> address during the bootstrap.  otherwise, it might well become confused.

A simple check for a zero value would stop a lot of PANICs in the AS
start up code.  It's _another_ of those things that are too easy, yet
too difficult to fix :-(

I wonder if we can persuade Red Hat to audit the Plan 9 sources too :-)
Under the new Lucent licence terms, of course :-)  :-)  :-)

++L

PS:  Charles, are you waiting for some response from me on the
3C905B-TX NICs, and if so, will you remind me what I can do to help
progress on their drivers?

* [9fans] Argh -- auth checklist?
@ 1999-02-25  0:27 James
From: James @ 1999-02-25  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> heh heh heh.  One of the more annoying bugs :)

It took me going back into the mail archive to figure out what you meant
here. =) I was just working through one of the many docs when I put that
line in way back when I was setting up the system at first. =)

> I don't know whether the auth/keyfs stuff generates diagnostic
> output in /sys/log/auth or somewhere... i know auth.srv puts
> cryptic stuff there when terminal auth fails for some reason.

There is a /sys/log/auth, but it doesn't print out anything when I try
and telnet in from a unix box. I find that if I telnet back into the
system when I'm at the console, I get a similar error:

    <myauthserver>% telnet <myauthserver>
    connected to tcp!<myauthserver>
    !telnet on /net/tcp/15
    user: jimr
    authentication failure

There is *one* entry from today: Feb 24 07:03 user response timed out,
but I'm not sure what attempt generated that error.

Jim

* [9fans] Argh -- auth checklist?
@ 1999-02-24 23:38 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1999-02-24 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

given the effort you've expended thus far,
i suppose i should add: thank you for your persistence,
you are helping to make the computing world a better place,

@ 1999-02-24 23:36 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1999-02-24 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-02-24 23:21 James
From: James @ 1999-02-24 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anyone have a checklist of things to check for setting up the auth
stuff? I must not have set something up correctly, for I find that I
cannot telnet into my plan9 system and get a securenet challenge. =(

I've got my user login in the plan9 db and the securenet db. If I run
"status" on my user name, it comes back with

    user jimr: plan 9 key status is ok and never expires
    jimr:       James A. Robinson HighWire Press <jim.robinson@stanford.edu>
    user jimr: network key status is ok and never expires
    user jimr: net key NNN NNN NNN NNN NNN NNN NNN NNN
    jimr:       James A. Robinson HighWire Press <jim.robinson@stanford.edu>

where NNN are actually sets of 3 numbers. I've got keyfs running on both
key sets from /bin/cpurc:

    auth/keyfs -m/mnt/keys /adm/keys
    auth/keyfs -m/mnt/netkeys /adm/netkeys

Both /mnt/keys and /mnt/netkeys have directory 'jimr' and the info I can
get at inside them seem to indicate it is ok... Ummm, let's see. I've
got an entry in /lib/ndb/local stating that il=ticket port=566.

If I try and telnet in as anyone other then none, instead of getting a
challenge I immeditely get back a failure:

    ; telnet <myauthserver>
    Connected to <myauthserver.stanford.edu>.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    user: jimr
    authentication failure
    Connection closed by foreign host.

Sigh... I don't understand whether or not /lib/ndb/auth
is used for remote connections (I would think no, but...),
and I'm not sure what the fAQ means with the statement

    also: /lib/ndb/auth
    in /lib/ndb/local: 9P=auth

I'm missing something, but I have no idea what. =( I'm
wondering if maybe the authserver doesn't realize that it
itself is the authserver? I have to use 0.1.0.0 as the auth
server IP address, or it won't boot up (the default says it
is 0.0.0.0, which crashes the system).

Jim