From: James A. Robinson Jim.Robinson@Stanford.Edu
Subject: Yeeha! =) (was Re: [9fans] Argh -- auth checklist?)
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 18:29:21 -0800	[thread overview]

Thanks to everyone who responded: Forsyth, Russ, Steve, and David.

What was wrong was that I needed to add to by sys= entry for the auth
server, the line 'auth=<authserver>' so that my auth server would know
that it, itself, was the auth server to check.

Russ pointed out that I should be able to have csquery resolve lines
like net!$auth!ticket and tcp!$auth!telnet. I wasn't so that pointed
out the problem as being in my ndb/local file.

I originally had a setup like:

	ipnet=foo
		ip=<net>
		ipmask=<mask>
		ipgw=<gw>
		auth=<authserver>

	sys=<authserver>
		ip=<ip>
		dom=<authserver.stanford.edu>
		proto=il

I had assumed that, since authserver was in subnet foo, it would understand
that it should use <autherserver> (itself) as authentication server.  Instead,
I had to have:

	sys=<authserver>
		ip=<ip>
		dom=<authserver.stanford.edu>
		proto=il
		proto=tcp (not sure about this, but someone suggested it)
		auth=<authserver>

If I remove the auth=<authserver>, I get the error. If I put it back
in, I get the challenge/response and can login to the system. Wheee!

Thanks guys!

Jim