From: James A. Robinson Jim.Robinson@Stanford.Edu
Subject: Yeeha! =) (was Re: [9fans] Argh -- auth checklist?)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:33:01 -0800	[thread overview]

> the applications that authenticate dial the authenticator.  auth= says
> where to find it.  it's possible to put the auth= entry in /lib/ndb/local
> only at net or subnet level, but that didn't work when Jim tried it
> (probably because the net/subnet entries aren't quite right, but i'll
> look at them closely later).

And Russ and Forsyth win the prize!  I won't claim to understand it all,
but fixing the highwire-net entry does the trick as well. I am sort of
confused by it all. Yes, Stanford Libraries uses the 36.0.0.0 domain, one
of the few (two?) class A addresses still in use, but... We have always
been told that our network is 36.48.0.0, with the netmask 255.255.0.0.

Following Russ's e-mail to me, I switched out highwire-net
entry. Following Forsyth's comments, I cleaned up the rest of
/lib/ndb/local as well. =) The following works for me -- I can get
authentication.

    #
    # systems on the local network
    #

    #
    # Domain Name Service
    #
    dom=
        ns=cilantro.stanford.edu
        ns=cassandra.stanford.edu
        ns=caribou.stanford.edu
    dom=cilantro.stanford.edu ip=171.64.7.99
    dom=cassandra.stanford.edu ip=171.64.7.77
    dom=caribou.stanford.edu ip=171.64.7.55

    #
    # Networks
    #
    ipnet=highwire-net
        ip=36.0.0.0
        ipmask=255.255.255.0
        ipgw=36.48.0.1
        fs=bela
        auth=ruler

    #
    # CPU/Auth servers
    #
    sys=ruler
        dom=ruler.stanford.edu ip=36.48.0.135 ether=0060977e685a
        bootf=/386/9pccpudisk
        proto=il

    #
    # File servers
    #
    sys=bela
        dom=bela.stanford.edu ip=36.48.0.137 ether=00a02425fb61
        proto=il

    ... terminals list ...

	... services list ...
	il=ticket		port=566