* [9fans] plan9 mail hub -- how to??
@ 1999-03-25  1:25 James
From: James @ 1999-03-25  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> do direct delivery off campus--the normal way for a plan9 terminal.  I have
> got permission for our plan9 compute server to talk to the rest of
> the world but when I cpu to it, the identity of the plan9 terminal
> is exposed and the mail is rejected.  If one telnets or cons

How about just doing an 'import <smtpserver> /net/tcp /net/tcp'
before you send the mail?

    ; telnet tcp!highwire.stanford.edu!25
    connected to tcp!highwire.stanford.edu!25 on /net/tcp/1
    220 highwire.stanford.edu ESMTP Sendmail 8.8.5/8.7.1 ready at Wed, 24 Mar 1999 17:24:00 -0800 (PST)
    helo ruler.stanford.edu
    250 highwire.stanford.edu Hello eros.Stanford.EDU [36.48.0.141], pleased to meet you
    quit
    221 highwire.stanford.edu closing connection

    ; import ruler /net/tcp /net/tcp

    ; telnet tcp!highwire.stanford.edu!25
    connected to tcp!highwire.stanford.edu!25 on /net/tcp/14
    220 highwire.stanford.edu ESMTP Sendmail 8.8.5/8.7.1 ready at Wed, 24 Mar 1999 17:24:22 -0800 (PST)
    helo ruler.stanford.edu
    250 highwire.stanford.edu Hello ruler.Stanford.EDU [36.48.0.135], pleased to meet you
    quit
    221 highwire.stanford.edu closing connection
    ;

Jim

* [9fans] plan9 mail hub -- how to??
@ 1999-03-25  1:37 presotto
From: presotto @ 1999-03-25  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I believe that I already had a /mail/lib/equivlist in
the upas that went out with the distribution.  If you put into
it the names of all the internal systems, they system name
will be stripped from messages sent from those systems to
the cpu server, effectively anonymizing the internal terminals.

* [9fans] plan9 mail hub -- how to??
@ 1999-03-25  0:56 Ed
From: Ed @ 1999-03-25  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I need help in getting a plan9 compute server to relay out-going mail.
Our campus has restricted each department to not allow desk tops to
do direct delivery off campus--the normal way for a plan9 terminal.  I have
got permission for our plan9 compute server to talk to the rest of
the world but when I cpu to it, the identity of the plan9 terminal
is exposed and the mail is rejected.  If one telnets or cons
to the computer server, then the identity is of the compute server
but then one loses the hold mode of the window, the reason I want
to use plan9 mail.

Before I try to change the code for smtp, I wonder has someone
solved this via some rewrite rules.  The man page is rather cryptic
here.  The -g option does not work as that is a fall-back when a
MX record can not be found.

The sample session below shows this behavior.  My desktop is topaz,
the compute server is manzanita.  cat /env/sysname and cat /env/ipaddr
are manzanita, but see how topaz is exposed:

manzanita % upas/smtp -d banyan.cs.unr.edu ed ed
sending dns 'banyan.cs.unr.edu mx'
mxdial trying aspen.cs.unr.edu
220 aspen.cs.unr.edu ESMTP Sendmail 8.8.8/1.34-UNR-sd-ptp-1.00; Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:25:31 -0800 (PST)

HELO manzanita

250 aspen.cs.unr.edu Hello topaz.cs.unr.edu [134.197.40.51], pleased to meet you

MAIL FROM:<ed@manzanita>

250 <ed@manzanita>... Sender ok

RCPT TO:<ed@banyan.cs.unr.edu>

Subject:  hi ed