* [9fans] what is the present status of mothra?
@ 1999-04-09 15:57 Digby
From: Digby @ 1999-04-09 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harking back to a comment rob made about 6 months ago:

>No one here has touched mothra for a couple of years.
>It's considered dead.
>
>-rob

I was just wondering if anyone knows what, if anything, has
taken Mothra's place in Brazil? Is there a replacement for
Mothra in sight?

The current state of the art in Unix/Windoze web browsers seem
to be as far as one can get from the 'small and elegant' philosophy
of Plan9, and I have decided I really don't want a web browser that
thinks it is a mail and news reader as well :-/

I read with amusement in another list that the minimum amount of
free hard disk space required to install an IE5 upgrade in W95 was
about 20% larger than my entire hard disk on my old laptop...

Regards,
DigbyT
--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                              digbyt@acm.org
http://www.cthulhu.dircon.co.uk

* [9fans] what is the present status of mothra?
@ 1999-04-12  8:53 Elliott
From: Elliott @ 1999-04-12  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I was just wondering if anyone knows what, if anything, has
> taken Mothra's place in Brazil? Is there a replacement for
> Mothra in sight?

didn't they say at the time that they start Inferno if they
want a web browser?

--
"Le sens commun n'est pas si commun." -- Voltaire

* [9fans] what is the present status of mothra?
@ 1998-09-07  0:59 ralph
From: ralph @ 1998-09-07  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

>	I can't imagine who thinks that we can't live
>	without animated gifs but we don't need built-up equations.
>
>Advertisers.

this is just the tip of the iceberg.  I recently discovered a
reference to the Intel "Optimized Content" program on the
slashdot.org web site.  basically, Intel is subsidizing web
sites that put up computationally intensive stuff (eg, CNN's
3D VRML Space Shuttle Walk Thru) that will only look good
when viewed on a machine with a Pentium II.  the idea is
to create incentive for people with old, obsolete P1's to
buy new computers...

Of course, nobody on this list knows anybody who is dumb
enough to fall for that one, right?  ;-)

* [9fans] what is the present status of mothra?
@ 1998-09-01 18:03 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1998-09-01 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>Getting it to do boxes-within-boxes (like tables or frames) is
>>likely to be fairly difficult.

it is.

* [9fans] what is the present status of mothra?
@ 1998-09-01 15:55 rob
From: rob @ 1998-09-01 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-09-01 15:28 Tom
From: Tom @ 1998-09-01 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 1,  1:32pm, Kenji Okamoto wrote:
> Subject: [9fans] what is the present status of mothra?
> Mothra, now I know it means MOSURA :-), does not read Japanese text.
> mothra can read my Plan 9 home page with many of encrypted lines,
> although I translated those text to UTF.

I would have guessed that mothra worked fine with UTF-encoded CJK
text -- sorry I can't check it out.  It certainly will not read JIS.

More important, it won't do tables or frames, which didn't exist when
it was written.  The notion that html encodes a sequence of variable-font
strings (and forms widgets) that can be laid out using a fairly simple
auto-wrap algorithm is built in to mothra at the deepest level.
Getting it to do boxes-within-boxes (like tables or frames) is
likely to be fairly difficult.

It's ias hard for a single programmer to keep up with the pace
at which web standards change as it is to understand why standards
change.  For example, I can't imagine who thinks that we can't live
without animated gifs but we don't need built-up equations.

--
Tom Duff.  Past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

* [9fans] what is the present status of mothra?
@ 1998-09-01 13:33 rob
From: rob @ 1998-09-01 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-09-01  7:40 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1998-09-01  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>Mothra does not recognize other hostname than those written in
>>/lib/ndb/local.

you must run ndb/dns on your terminal or import
/net/dns from a cpu server that is running ndb/dns.
ndb/cs can then use /net/dns to resolve domain names,
and mothra in turn (via dial) will be able to resolve them.

* [9fans] what is the present status of mothra?
@ 1998-09-01  5:59 Kenji
From: Kenji @ 1998-09-01  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Mothra does not recognize other hostname than those written in
> /lib/ndb/local.

sorry, I've done it too early.
I had to run ndb/dns on my terminal, and then, it did the thing.

Kenji

* [9fans] what is the present status of mothra?
@ 1998-09-01  4:32 Kenji
From: Kenji @ 1998-09-01  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mothra, now I know it means MOSURA :-), does not read Japanese text.
mothra can read my Plan 9 home page with many of encrypted lines,
although I translated those text to UTF.
Mothra does not recognize other hostname than those written in
/lib/ndb/local.

However, Web browser is very important application for many other than
programmer, and also now for me, because I'm now planning to set Plan 9
for everyday use for many of faculties and students, mainly for mail though.
(I need more secure OS like Plan 9)

Then, I'd like to knwo the present developping status of mothra.
Are there anyone doing it?

Kenji