* [9fans] new german book about plan9
@ 1999-04-15 15:38 Markus
From: Markus @ 1999-04-15 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello!

there is a new german book about plan9:

	H.-P. Bischof, G. Imeyer, B. Kuehl, A.-T. Schreiner
	"Das Netzbetriebssystem Plan 9, Konzepte und Programmierung"
	(the network OS plan9, concepts and programming)
	ISBN 3-446-18881-9
	see http://www.hanser.de/computer/buecher/18881.htm

after browsing the pages for 5 minutes it seems to me,
that the book contains both new and familiar material:

the 'new' chapters include an introduction to 9P using the debug messages
from 'ramfs', example code for a simple kernel device or user-level servers.

other chapters like the chapters about 'mk' and the panel library seem
like (extended) translations from the papers in "Plan9. The Documents".

has anyone read this book?  are my first impressions wrong?
any opinions or recommendations?

thanks, -markus

* [9fans] new german book about plan9
@ 1999-04-16 17:30 rob
From: rob @ 1999-04-16 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

There is a section in the French introduction wondering why something like
	print("%c\n", 'û');
can work.  It is indeed a little surprising, but in any case we
recently changed the compiler to warn not only when a character
constant overflows, but also if it turns on a sign bit (that is, if it
overflows one bit sooner).  This program now draws a warning.  It also
still works....

-rob

* [9fans] new german book about plan9
@ 1999-04-16 14:57 Jean
From: Jean @ 1999-04-16 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

For those of you who speak french, you might also be interested by a
document I wrote for our students on the plan 9 system. It can be found
in http://www.mime.up8.edu/~jm/mup9.ps (and the cover at the same
place in cover.ps).

jm