* [9fans] What is the limit to quote a source code of Plan 9
@ 1999-09-22  1:15 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 1999-09-22  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm now asked to write an introductory article of Plan 9 for Japanese
readers who are supposed to have some skills to write programs.
I suppose this is the first (probably) oppotunity to read a comprehensive
introduction to Plan 9 writeen in Japanese for such Japanese readers.

Now, then, I'm wondering what extent I can refer to the source codes
to write this article.   If it's entirely impossible, it might be a very boring
article for such readers.

When I searched such an example in the papers written by you from
Bell Labs., I can find many examples to show pieces of source codes.
However, those are written by the authors themselves, and it IS
different from my situation.

Then, I'd like to ask you whether it's possible to refer to the source codes
when it is shown not to reveal the entire sources, in other words,
to quate them only to show thier flow structures of the coding.

Kenji

* [9fans] What is the limit to quote a source code of Plan 9
@ 1999-09-22  2:20 Dave
From: Dave @ 1999-09-22  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

--upas-obhkojludmmgcfrcaxaucotwul

This is going both to okamoto and 9fans.

Anyone using common sense should feel free to use pieces of
our source (duly attributed) as examples in articles.  We just
don't want major parts of our system published or showing up
in other people's products.

If this still seems to vague, feel free to show us what you
want to publish so we can make some definitive statement about
the particular article(s).
--upas-obhkojludmmgcfrcaxaucotwul