* [9fans] output of dict/adict?
@ 1999-09-27 22:19 kim
From: kim @ 1999-09-27 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jim -

This is only tangentially related to your question, but
I have an article from the January 1987 'IBM J. Res. Develop.'
(vol. 31, n1, pp73-80) written by Mike Cowlishaw and
discussing the LEXX text editor. IBM has an R&D group at
Hursley, UK, and Cowlishaw is kind of their equivalent to
Rob Pike. Except of course IBM can never follow through
commercially on his creations.

Anyhow, Cowlishaw writes that 'the editor was originally
developed as a tool for lexicographers during the author's
secondment to the New Oxford English Dictionary project at
Oxford University Press and uses that project in the
examples.

The screen shot figures in my copy are illegible, but if
you're interested you might go to the Stanford CS library
and look up the original.  A version of LEXX called LPEX
is included in some of IBMs OS/2 products, so of course
I've never seen it.  But from reading the article (which
came out about the same time the original SAM article did)
it sounded like it had some interesting features, esp. for
<SGML> tagged (or any structured) data.

 - kim
From: Russ @ 1999-09-23  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

--upas-drasrkchrweqpgtneguprixbcj

the * is the dict prompt.  sadly adict is currently defunct.

olive!rsc% dict -d oed
*/stanford
dict: pattern not found
*/book
1	bake
2	book
3	book
4	book
5	bouk
6	buck
*3
book (bʊk), v. Forms: 1 bócian, 3–4 boke(n, 4–7 booke, 4– book.
[OE. bócian, corresp. to OFris. bôkia, ON. bóka: from the n.:
see prec.]

  †1.  trans.  To grant or assign (land) by charter: see book
n. 1.  Obs. (exc. Hist.)
  966 in Cod. Dipl. 531 Oswald biscop bocaþ Wihthelme his þeʒne.
1844 Lingard Anglo-Sax. Ch. (1858) I. App. 374 Ethelwulf, king
of Wessex, books the lands of twenty families, not to a subject,
but to himself. 1876 Digby Real Prop. i. 12 Land thus granted
was said to be `booked' to the grantee, and was called bocland
or bookland.

  2.

  a.  To enter in a book; to record, register.
  a1225 Ancr. R. 158 Þauh þe engel Gabriel hefde his burde ibocked.
1393 Gower Conf. I. 3 Some newe thing I shulde boke. 1594 Nashe
Unfort. Trav. 9, I haue done a thousand better iests, if they
had been bookt. 1610 Holland Camden's Brit. i. 4 The Bardi..thought
it not lawfull to write and booke anything. 1710 Lond. Gaz. No.
4677/4 They..saw him [a horse] book'd in the Market Book. 1854
Hooker Himal. Jrnls. I. x. 247 To seize and book every object
worth noticing. 1883 Manch. Exam. 26 Nov. 4/2 Not eager to book
fresh orders.

  b.  fig.
  1575 Sir N. Breton in Farr S.P. (1845) i, How in your heart
you may for euer booke it. a1656 Bp. Hall Rem. Wks. (1660) 183
The Almighty..books their number for an everlasting remembrance.

  c.  To make an entry of or against a person's name; esp. to
enter (a name) in a police register for an alleged offence; see
also quot. 1846.
  1841 Fistiana 58 The names of individuals of distinction were
`booked' for indictment, should the prosecution of the principal..end
in a conviction. 1846 Snowden Magistrate's Assistant 344 Caught,
taken, or disposed of: booked. 1902 Wodehouse Pothunters iii.
49 If he books a chap out of bounds it keeps him happy for a
week. 1935 Steinbeck Tortilla Flat viii. 122 The police sergeant
said he hadn't booked them for a long time. 1961 P. Barry Unwillingly
to School xv. 204 If you hadn't been a learner driver..I'd have
booked you for that!

  d.  To put (tackle) in a fishing-book.
  1892 Field 18 June 922/3 We therefore book our cast, and wind
up for the day.

  3.

  a.  To enter in a list, to enrol, enlist.
  1548 Udall, etc. Erasm. Par. Acts v. 14 Which had not yet..booked
themselues as souldiers. 1607 Hieron Wks. I. 284 Enrouled and
booked among Christians. 1612 J. Davies Why Ireland, &c. (1787)
176 He caused the marchers to book their men.

  b.  To enter (the arrival or departure of an employee, hotel
guest, etc.) in a book; so to book in, out.  Also intr. to book
off, to sign an attendance book on going off duty.
  1902 Daily Chron. 13 May 10/5 Baker's..Bookkeeper.—Young lady
required, with good experience, to book men and keep books. Ibid.,
Wanted young lady,..one able to book in. Ibid., Shopwoman wanted,
capable of booking out men. 1928 Observer 3 Feb. 12/7 To-night
he drives his engine for the last time.  To-morrow he `books
off'..and the Line knows him no more. 1958 Spectator 22 Aug.
251/1 Booking in immediately before the flight. 1958 Times 3
Sept. 13/4 O'Brien-Greer booked in at the hotel on August 20.

  4.

  a.  To engage for oneself by payment (a seat or place in a
travelling conveyance or in a theatre or other place of entertainment).
 Also absol.
  1826 Disraeli Viv. Grey iii. iv. 99, I will give them orders
to book an inside place for the poodle. 1837 Dickens Pickw. xxxv,
Sam Weller booked for them all. 1878 F. Williams Midl. Railw.
628 When railways were first opened for passenger traffic..the
traveller had to give his name..his seat was `booked'. a1887
Theatrical Advt. Seats can be booked one month in advance.

  b.  To enter (the name of a passenger, etc.) for a seat or
place; to issue railway tickets to; refl. to obtain a railway
ticket for oneself.  Also intr. to book through: to obtain a
ticket to cover a whole journey.
  1841 Marryat Poacher xli, He booked himself for the following
day's coach. 1844 Dickens Mart. Chuz. li. 592 The other [man],
seating himself on the steps of the coach, remained in conversation
with Slyme... `He's booked,' observed the man.  `Through,' said
Slyme. 1858 Penny Cycl. 2nd Suppl. 565/2 A man may now `book
through' from London to so many continental cities. 1859 Jephson
Brittany ii. 8, I booked myself at the Waterloo Station for Jersey.
1884 Gt. West. Railw. Time Table July 53 Passengers are booked
through from Warwick.

  c.  To enter and pay for the transmission of (goods, etc.)
by any conveyance.
  1807 Lamb Let. 29 Jan. (1868) I. 251 Dear Wordsworth—We have
book'd off from Swan and Two Necks, Lad Lane, this day (per coach)
the Tales from Shakspear.1829 Lamb in Select. Bernard Barton
(1849) 139 The parcel is booked for you this 25th March. 1849
De Quincey Eng. Mail Coach Wks. IV. 297 [It was] not in the way-bill
and therefore could not have been booked. 1885 Law Times LXXX.
45/1 His drover..booked them [cattle] to the Nantwich station.

  5.  transf.  To engage (a person) as a guest or the like.
Also with up.  colloq.  Cf. booked 3.
  1872 Proc. Amer. Philol. Soc. 18 It seems singular to the American
to hear an Englishman speak of `booking' his friend for dinner.
a1887 Mod. I shall book you for that evening.1906 Daily Chron.
20 Oct. 7/2 The defendant..wrote: `Thanks for calling.  I am
pleased to book you for four—or it may be five Sundays.'..Mr.
——..said he was engaged at £2. 2. 0 a day. 1923 Wodehouse Inimit.
Jeeves iii. 35 Before I went I had been booked up to take brother
and the girl for a nice drive that afternoon.
*4
book, obs. pa. t. of bake; obs. f. buck, bulk.
*

--upas-drasrkchrweqpgtneguprixbcj

From: "James A. Robinson" <jim.robinson@stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 19:32:24 -0700