* [9fans] any papers on Plan9 II?
@ 1999-12-07  1:20 FODEMESI
From: FODEMESI @ 1999-12-07  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

as far as I can remember, there was no query
about Brazil in this form:
Are there any notes (besides the e-mails
posted on this list) which could be made
public on new aspects of Brazil?

 thanks: Gergo

ps: please feel free to ignore this mail

* [9fans] any papers on Plan9 II?
@ 1999-12-13 15:38 Elliott
From: Elliott @ 1999-12-13 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> In my opinion, just the emu version and Limbo is good enough to
> create beautiful and imaginative applications.

i think a big problem for many people was having to run inside
emu, by which i mean its big window as much as the VM, which --
provided it starts fast enough -- is neither here nor there. actually,
emu starts a little too slowly to be useful for a lot of stuff, but it
would have been ok for mailers and web browsers and the like.

i don't think "Limbo concepts are too tough" for anyone, but it
was hard to see why anyone would choose Limbo/emu for
development. in some areas (graphics, say) it was decidedly
poor, and i struggle to think of any reason for "an ordinary
programmer" to favour it.

but what has this to do with papers on Brazil?

	-e

--
"As the Chinese say, 1001 words is worth more than a picture."
	-- John McCarthy

* [9fans] any papers on Plan9 II?
@ 1999-12-13 15:09 Dharani
From: Dharani @ 1999-12-13 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Dennis Ritchie wrote:
>
> >  perhaps ultimately because it
> > seems to be hard for all but one company to make
> > money by selling an operating system.

> Yes. But at least they _try_ .  It was virtually impossible
> for anyone to obtain Inferno to run on real hardware, and
> the Inferno business folk made it generally unnatractive
> for third party application developers.

> It is not the OS that sells itself, but the applications available for it.
> You can have the best OS in the world, but if you do not
> make it easy for people to write apps for it, or if there
> are not enough good quality applications for it, it will die.

In my opinion, just the emu version and Limbo is good enough to
create beautiful and imaginative applications. Users could have
easily come out with excellent applications. The simplicity of
Limbo should have been a major attraction to the users but
the response and acceptance was far too low. May be the
reasons are people started using Java already and Limbo concepts
are too tough for an ordinary programmer. Rob Pike's book
could have served a lot.

Regards
dharani