* [9fans] A real newbie question
@ 1999-12-17 13:36 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1999-12-17 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>Other question - how to add users? I have tried the newuser script, but
>>it complains that cannot cd to /usr/$user or something like that.

i think the following is correct.

on a standalone machine (with a local kfs file system),

	disk/kfscmd 'newuser fred'

then log in as fred and run the newuser script.

if you've got the full cpu-server+file-server+terminal collection
use newuser on the file server console, auth/changeuser on the
cpu server console, then have the user run the newuser script
once logged in.  i once wrote something that would install
many users at once, but i can't find it now.

* [9fans] A real newbie question
@ 1999-12-17 16:59 presotto
From: presotto @ 1999-12-17 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

--upas-uqreseiojkmhcosprmmuakijhd

Someone answered you about adding users.  I'll try the dns problem.
I've done a better dns since then and it'll come out soon.  However,
till then, you need to make do with what you have, which is essentially
a dns program that's both resolver and server.  Add entries to the
/lib/ndb/local file that look like this:

dom=
	ns=A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
dom=A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=198.41.0.4
dom=B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=128.9.0.107
dom=C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=192.33.4.12
dom=D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=128.8.10.90
dom=E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=192.203.230.10
dom=F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=192.5.5.241 ip=39.13.229.241
dom=G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=192.112.36.4
dom=H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=128.63.2.53
dom=I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=192.36.148.17

If you don't want to go to the root servers, pretend that
your other name servers are the root servers and edit the above
accordingly.

Otherwise keep the above entries and also add one for your
local (I assume bnl.gov) domain:

dom=bnl.gov
	ns=NS1.bnl.gov
	ns=NAMESERVER.bnl.gov
	ns=NS1.ES.NET
dom=NS1.bnl.gov ip=130.199.1.1
dom=NAMESERVER.bnl.gov ip=130.199.128.31
dom=NS1.ES.NET ip=198.128.2.10

This program doesn't add domain's to names before resolving so
your stuck with typing full domain names if the system isn't
in /lib/ndb/local.

--upas-uqreseiojkmhcosprmmuakijhd

Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 08:29:23 -0500
From: Helio Takai <takai@bnl.gov>
To: "9fans@cse.psu.edu" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: [9fans] A real newbie question
Sender: owner-9fans@cse.psu.edu

Hi,
After having the CD for more than a year in my drawer I decided that
I have to install it... So I did.
I went as far as installing the CD on a pentium 60, with 48Mb, #9GXE-pci
video card, bus-logic SCSI and a couple of recycled SCSI disks.
81/2 works great, etc...

I am having some difficulties
configuring the network. My main problem is to access our domain name
server. We have in our lab two machines that serves this purpose. The
question is how can I do that?  I imagine that this needs to be included
in /lib/ndb/local, is this correct?

Other question - how to add users? I have tried the newuser script, but
it complains that cannot cd to /usr/$user or something like that.

So you see...these are real newbie question... I am not a real computer
expert, but would like to understand if plan9 or something in these
lines could be used in high energy physics. In particular for the
data analysis, where many users share a common set of data. Reading
the several papers it seems that this is the case....

Any help is greatly welcomed!

Cheers, Helio Takai
takai@bnl.gov

@ 1999-12-17 13:29 Helio