* [9fans] fresh python port?
@ 2013-04-25 12:51 Yaroslav
From: Yaroslav @ 2013-04-25 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There is porting of a recent 2.x python going on, isn't it? How is it going?

* Re: [9fans] fresh python port?
@ 2013-04-25 13:54 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-04-25 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Apr 25 08:52:09 EDT 2013, yarikos@gmail.com wrote:
> There is porting of a recent 2.x python going on, isn't it? How is it going?

yes.  coraid is sponsoring an upstreamed port at the tip of the 2 series.
it should work with amd64, 386 and arm, properly integrate with the
system, including being able to read ctl files and support hg at the tip.
python should pass most of its self tests.

jeff sickel is doing the work.  (many thanks.)  and might be able to
fill in more details.

we're currently working with 2.74.  this port is currently based on ape,
but one big difference is we're using plan 9 ssl/tls and plan 9 ssh and
not openssl and open ssh.  this has required an upgrade to
/sys/lib/ape/bsd, which you can currently view in the atom sources.
this brings in support for the modern name lookup functions, as well
as ip6 support.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] fresh python port?
@ 2013-04-25 14:45 ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2013-04-25 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Getting close to a general release.  It's based on Python 2.7.4, supports
hg 2.5.4, and does require a few patches to APE.

Hg does have a caveat: many repositories require filesystems with long
filename|path support.  The repositories for Python, Go, and Hg are included
in that list.  The Go one is interesting because it was an html file that
someone created long ago with a terribly long filename.  It did get shortened,
but that still means the store has the long filename.  I really wonder why
Hg preservers the full filename in the store instead of using a hash or node
index.  Just keep that in mind for future references.  Fossil behaves okay
for most repositories I've tested, but older Plan 9 file systems will require
lnfs.