* [9fans] VMware & Plan 9 on Dell
@ 2004-03-01 19:01 John E. Barham
From: John E. Barham @ 2004-03-01 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've ordered a Dell 5100 laptop (2.8 GHz P4, 512 MB RAM).  XP is my default
environment but I'll probably be running Mandrake Linux under VMware as
well.  Any reason why I can't run Plan 9 (although not necessarily
concurrently w/ Mandrake) under VMware too?

* Re: [9fans] VMware & Plan 9 on Dell
@ 2004-03-01 19:29 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-03-01 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've ordered a Dell 5100 laptop (2.8 GHz P4, 512 MB RAM).  XP is my default
> environment but I'll probably be running Mandrake Linux under VMware as
> well.  Any reason why I can't run Plan 9 (although not necessarily
> concurrently w/ Mandrake) under VMware too?

besides the expensive license or preference for "free" alternatives --
no.

you may have to install from the cd instead of using the vmware image.
people have reported problems with 4.x and the vmware image.
installing p9 from the cd should be fine.

i'm using p9 daily as a terminal running under vmware 3.x.  the speed
is very reasonable when running locally, with cfs it's acceptable when
running over dsl lines.

andrey

* Re: [9fans] VMware & Plan 9 on Dell
@ 2004-03-02  8:00 ` 9nut
From: 9nut @ 2004-03-02  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've ordered a Dell 5100 laptop (2.8 GHz P4, 512 MB RAM).  XP is my default
> environment but I'll probably be running Mandrake Linux under VMware as
> well.  Any reason why I can't run Plan 9 (although not necessarily
> concurrently w/ Mandrake) under VMware too?

I have a similar setup (2.4GHz cpu) and routinely run Plan9 term on
VMware 4.0. At times (during testing) I run another instance.
As Andrey mentioned, will have to do a cd install with VMWare 4,
and check previous posts regarding "legacy mode" for CD drive
setting.