* [9fans] gigabit ethernet query
@ 2003-05-01 17:20 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-05-01 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

Do you mind telling me what different brands of Gigabit Ethernet cards you
guys use (both in- and external to Bell-Labs) with Plan 9?

We're looking at buying hardware that's either supported by P9 already or is
common enough to warrant a driver for it.

I'll also use this information to update the wiki, which currently states:

* Netgear GA620 and GA620T Gigabit Ethernet cards and other cards using the
  Alteon Acenic chip, e.g., Alteon Acenic fiber and copper cards, DEC DEGPA-SA
  and SGI Acenic

thanx, andrey

* Re: [9fans] gigabit ethernet query
@ 2003-05-01 18:28 ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2003-05-01 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In addition to the Alteon-based cards, we have used

	Intel PRO/1000 T
	Intel PRO/1000 F
		these are the older 82543GC chip
	Intel PRO/1000 XT
		82544 chip

These work just dandy. Unfortunately there's a driver merge to
do (or not) between the 2 chips (actually, mostly between the fiber
and CAT5 parts); considering how much cheaper and easier to use the
CAT5 stuff is that may never happen.

	Intel PRO/1000 MT
		82540EM chip

We had trouble with this embedded on a motherboard. I have a card
on order ($43) to see if we can find out what's up, it should just
be a little tweaking from the 82544 code.

	Netgear GA622T
	Linksys EG1064
		National Semiconductor DP83820 chip

These are cheap and work, but performance isn't great. I'm not sure
whether that's because I didn't spend any time trying to tune the
driver or because of chip limitations, I suspect a combination of
both.