* [9fans] Audio and other questions
@ 2007-10-11 21:12 john
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: john @ 2007-10-11 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've been playing around a bit with playing music nicely under
Plan 9, but I've run into a few problems.
First, while trying to play music over drawterm from home, the
audio output is very choppy and slow--I'm pretty sure this has
to do with the fact that streaming PCM data over a cable
connection is not a good idea. If I set up a cpu server here at home
that boots from that remote filesystem, I should be able to drawterm
to that and play music from there to avoid the streaming problems,
right?

madplay works fine for playing stuff when I'm on the LAN with
my CPU server, but I'd rather use 'juke' for the playlist and
music sorting capabilities. However, the map files are tedious, to
say the least, so I'd like to use Axel Belinfante's perl scripts to
generate the maps... but the perl installation seems to expect
a kfs filesystem. Can someone tell me how to install it on fossil?

Lastly, is anyone working on sound drivers for a Thinkpad T22? I'm
using one as a terminal, and besides the lack of audio capabilities
everything works great. I'm under the impression that the T22 is
one of the more compatible and widely used laptops, so I thought
maybe somebody would be trying to make a driver for it.

Thanks

John

* Re: [9fans] Audio and other questions
@ 2007-10-12  0:09 ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2007-10-12  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

yes, sending raw PCM over a cable modem is likely to be unenjoyable,
or at least spottily so. do the decoding as close to your audio device
as you're able. with drawterm, that pretty much means your cpu
server's got to be nearby, yes.

the perl install consists of two steps: perl.setup and replica/pull
/n/dist/perl. it should be obvious what change is needed to that first
script. for the replica file, compare to /dist/replica/network,
particularly clientmount, for how the default keep-up-to-date
mechanism deals with fossil. i *think* you should be able to just lift
clientmount wholesale, but i've not tried that. maybe i will now...

do you know what the audio device in the T22 is?

* Re: [9fans] Audio and other questions
@ 2007-10-12  0:42   ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2007-10-12  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

okay, well, i also needed to change these definitions:
	c=/n/boot/dist/replica
	clientroot=/n/boot
	clientproto=/n/boot/sys/src/cmd/perl/perl.proto
and that seems to work (except for two missing files which seem to
genuinely not be on the cd image).

joy. except now i have perl on my system.

* Re: [9fans] Audio and other questions
@ 2007-10-12  0:45     ` john
From: john @ 2007-10-12  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> okay, well, i also needed to change these definitions:
> 	c=/n/boot/dist/replica
> 	clientroot=/n/boot
> 	clientproto=/n/boot/sys/src/cmd/perl/perl.proto
> and that seems to work (except for two missing files which seem to
> genuinely not be on the cd image).
>
> joy. except now i have perl on my system.

Since I'm the only one who should be using it... I just
copied the /n/dist/386/bin/perl binary over to my bin/386
dir.

@ 2007-10-12  0:46 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2007-10-12  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've been playing around a bit with playing music nicely under
> Plan 9, but I've run into a few problems.
> First, while trying to play music over drawterm from home, the
> audio output is very choppy and slow--I'm pretty sure this has
> to do with the fact that streaming PCM data over a cable
> connection is not a good idea. If I set up a cpu server here at home
> that boots from that remote filesystem, I should be able to drawterm
> to that and play music from there to avoid the streaming problems,
> right?

use rangboom :)

* Re: [9fans] Audio and other questions
@ 2007-10-17 22:05 ` john
From: john @ 2007-10-17 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've been playing around a bit with playing music nicely under
> Plan 9, but I've run into a few problems.
> First, while trying to play music over drawterm from home, the
> audio output is very choppy and slow--I'm pretty sure this has
> to do with the fact that streaming PCM data over a cable
> connection is not a good idea. If I set up a cpu server here at home
> that boots from that remote filesystem, I should be able to drawterm
> to that and play music from there to avoid the streaming problems,
> right?

Got this part fixed, at least in part. I just set up a standalone CPU
server here at home, so I just run drawterm to there, import
my directory from the distant server, and play away. I guess if I had
this new CPU/auth server boot from the distant server's fossil, I wouldn't
even have to import my home dir. What would I do to have the server
automatically boot from a remote fileserver? (I'd like to unplug the
monitor and keyboard, so automatic is important)

@ 2007-10-17 22:29   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-10-17 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Got this part fixed, at least in part. I just set up a standalone CPU
> server here at home, so I just run drawterm to there, import
> my directory from the distant server, and play away. I guess if I had
> this new CPU/auth server boot from the distant server's fossil, I wouldn't
> even have to import my home dir. What would I do to have the server
> automatically boot from a remote fileserver? (I'd like to unplug the
> monitor and keyboard, so automatic is important)
> Thanks
all you need is a nvram file and a plan9.ini
file that says nobootprompt=kernel.

- erik