* Re: [9fans] Standalone, drawterm and auth
@ 2003-11-08  0:35 ` mirtchov
From: mirtchov @ 2003-11-08  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You pretty much have to have auth running on the server you want to drawterm to (or on a different server, if you have a dedicated auth already).

as far as standalone mode goes, you are fine with building a machine that acts as a cpu/auth/file server -- just pick a kernel appropriate for a file server and add graphics and cpu terminal capabilities to it. pccpuf for example will be fine. the wiki has a very nice section about adding a standalone cpu/auth server, maybe it should be updated for fossil.

andrey

ps: poor mail quality due to ssh-ing to plan9, instead of using drawterm

* [9fans] Standalone, drawterm and auth
@ 2003-11-08  1:25 vdharani
From: vdharani @ 2003-11-08  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I use a standalone PC based Plan 9. I wanted to try drawterm (windows
version) but I ran into some issues.

Here are my questions:

- Is it possible to connect to Plan 9 using drawterm without auth server?
(Something like userid/password but no special authentication)

- I am trying to use the Plan 9 machine in standalone mode, as well as
serve one or two machines using drawterm (like both standalone and CPU
server). Is it possible? If so, what auth processes should I be running? Is
factotum required or not? If there is any document/posting present already,
please let me know.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
dharani

* Re: [9fans] Standalone, drawterm and auth
@ 2003-11-08  1:41 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2003-11-08  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> - Is it possible to connect to Plan 9 using drawterm without auth server?
> (Something like userid/password but no special authentication)

I've not tried this, but it seems that you could use an authentication
method of "none" in drawterm (needs to be added) and then uncomment
the "none" authentication method in cpu.c (look at cpu -R path). And then
you'll be none, so I don't know how helpful that would be.

> - I am trying to use the Plan 9 machine in standalone mode, as well as
> serve one or two machines using drawterm (like both standalone and CPU
> server). Is it possible? If so, what auth processes should I be running? Is
> factotum required or not? If there is any document/posting present already,
> please let me know.

A cpu/auth/kfs-or-fossil with vga support compiled in would do.  Alternatively
you also could drawterm in.  Factotum is required for each user and running it
on a cpu becomes a little tricky, but you can have one factotum per user running
as in this script that Geoff posted a while back:

#!/bin/rc

if (! test -f /srv/factotum.$user)
	auth/factotum -s factotum.$user
mount -b /srv/factotum.$user /mnt