* [9fans] grid setup procedure
@ 2006-08-20 17:49 John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-08-20 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello again.
I've been looking for information on setting up a Plan 9 grid, but
I've been having some trouble. First off, I should clarify--a grid is
the name for a collection of machines including a cpu server, auth
server, file server, and some terminals, right? I'd like to know the
general order you use when setting up such a grid.
It sounds like the first thing to do is set up a standalone
cpu/auth/file server. Good. Now, after setting up that server, does a
dedicated file server come next? Or an auth server? Has anyone else
kept notes while setting up one of these?
Thanks

John
--
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers" -- Shakespeare, Henry VI

* Re: [9fans] grid setup procedure
@ 2006-08-20 21:08 ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2006-08-20 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/20/06, John Floren <slawmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello again.
> I've been looking for information on setting up a Plan 9 grid, but
> I've been having some trouble. First off, I should clarify--a grid is
> the name for a collection of machines including a cpu server, auth
> server, file server, and some terminals, right? I'd like to know the
> general order you use when setting up such a grid.
> It sounds like the first thing to do is set up a standalone
> cpu/auth/file server. Good. Now, after setting up that server, does a
> dedicated file server come next? Or an auth server? Has anyone else
> kept notes while setting up one of these?
> Thanks

Some combination of cpu/auth/file servers isn't really a grid -- its
just a standard Plan 9 clusters.  As for how to proceed once you have
your standalone cpu/auth/file server -- that all depends on what you
want to do.  Some folks have setup cpu servers that others could log
into (via drawterm or from their Plan 9 terminals).  Other's have
setup mirrors of sources and other Plan 9 network file resources.
There were various notes on the Wiki, but not sure if they survived
the cleansing.

         -eric

* Re: [9fans] grid setup procedure
@ 2006-08-21 14:13   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-08-21 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/20/06, Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/20/06, John Floren <slawmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello again.
> > I've been looking for information on setting up a Plan 9 grid, but
> > I've been having some trouble. First off, I should clarify--a grid is
> > the name for a collection of machines including a cpu server, auth
> > server, file server, and some terminals, right? I'd like to know the
> > general order you use when setting up such a grid.
> > It sounds like the first thing to do is set up a standalone
> > cpu/auth/file server. Good. Now, after setting up that server, does a
> > dedicated file server come next? Or an auth server? Has anyone else
> > kept notes while setting up one of these?
> > Thanks
> >

> Some combination of cpu/auth/file servers isn't really a grid -- its
> just a standard Plan 9 clusters.  As for how to proceed once you have
> your standalone cpu/auth/file server -- that all depends on what you
> want to do.  Some folks have setup cpu servers that others could log
> into (via drawterm or from their Plan 9 terminals).  Other's have
> setup mirrors of sources and other Plan 9 network file resources.
> There were various notes on the Wiki, but not sure if they survived
> the cleansing.
>
>         -eric

Okay, I guess I got confused when everybody kept talking about 9grids.

If I wanted to make a setup similar to 9grid.de, for instance, or any
other site that has machines dedicated to file serving or auth or cpu,
do I install a file server after doing my standalone server, then have
the standalone boot from the file server? I suppose the thing to do is
email some of the people who have done this.

John
--

@ 2006-08-21 15:43     ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2006-08-21 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/21/06, John Floren <slawmaster@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I wanted to make a setup similar to 9grid.de, for instance, or any
> other site that has machines dedicated to file serving or auth or cpu,
> do I install a file server after doing my standalone server, then have
> the standalone boot from the file server?

Probably the best bet is to setup your standalone system to boot other
systems, then boot a separate cpu/auth server and any terminals you
like.  You can then configure your original standalone as purely a
file server.  When I had my 9grid running, I had a file server and a
cpu  server and configured them to point to sources as auth (so anyone
with a sources account could log into my cpu server).  Instead of
booting a separate terminal, I just used drawterm to the cpu server.

> I suppose the thing to do is
> email some of the people who have done this.

That's not a bad idea - of course, they should all be on this list.

   -eric

* Re: Re: [9fans] grid setup procedure
@ 2006-08-21 16:10       ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-08-21 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/21/06, Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/21/06, John Floren <slawmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > If I wanted to make a setup similar to 9grid.de, for instance, or any
> > other site that has machines dedicated to file serving or auth or cpu,
> > do I install a file server after doing my standalone server, then have
> > the standalone boot from the file server?
>
> Probably the best bet is to setup your standalone system to boot other
> systems, then boot a separate cpu/auth server and any terminals you
> like.  You can then configure your original standalone as purely a
> file server.  When I had my 9grid running, I had a file server and a
> cpu  server and configured them to point to sources as auth (so anyone
> with a sources account could log into my cpu server).  Instead of
> booting a separate terminal, I just used drawterm to the cpu server.
>
> > I suppose the thing to do is
> > email some of the people who have done this.
>
> That's not a bad idea - of course, they should all be on this list.
>
>    -eric

I personally just run a cpu/fs/auth machine and have a parallels
terminal/fs as well.  I typically use parallels these days though, as
drawterm's "yellow problem"  is quite irritating.

Anyone have a solution to that?

Dave

* [9fans] exit message
@ 2006-08-22 14:39       ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2006-08-22 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

Do we have any way to find exit message of child process in the
following case?
That is, parent waits child to finish by reading output of child
process.

         Biobuf ib;
         int fd[2];
         pipe(fd);
         switch(fork()){
         case -1:
                 return -1;
         case 0:
                 dup(fd[1], 1);
                 dup(fd[1], 2);
                 close(fd[1]);
                 exec(path, argv);
         default:
                 close(fd[1]);
                 break;
         }

         Binit(&ib, fd[0], OREAD);
         while((p = Brdstr(&ib,'\n',1))){
         }
	/* how to find exit message of child process here? */

Kenji Arisawa

* Re: [9fans] exit message
@ 2006-08-22 14:45         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-08-22 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)