* Re: [9fans] passwd and ^D/^C
@ 2002-10-22 15:16 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-10-22 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You don't need to set a password if using Plan 9 just standalone.
Regarding ^C, it's del here.

Isn't this on the faq/wiki?

hth

* Re: [9fans] passwd and ^D/^C
@ 2002-10-22 18:05 ` Roman V. Shaposhnick
From: Roman V. Shaposhnick @ 2002-10-22 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 11:14:15AM -0400, a@9srv.net wrote:
> // Is there something I can set/do to send a kill signal to this process...
>
> from within rio (the windowing system), type delete. there
> is no job control in the shell, so if you've not got rio
> working, you're outta luck (when working on the console,
> i generally background things like ping with & so i can
> kill them explicitly).

  When you're remotely logged into P9 box using telnet protocol,
  you can use 0x7f key ( BackSpace/Del key on some UNIX'es ) to kill a process.

  From sys/src/cmd/ip/telnetd.c:

/*
 *  Read from the network up to a '\n' or some other break.
 *
 *  If in binary mode, buffer characters but don't
 *
 *  The following characters are special:
 *      '\r\n's and '\r's get turned into '\n's.
 *      ^H erases the last character buffered.
 *      ^U kills the whole line buffered.
 *      ^W erases the last word
 *      ^D causes a 0-lenght line to be returned.
 *      Intr causes an "interrupt" note to be sent to the children.
 */

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9fans] passwd and ^D/^C
@ 2002-10-22 15:14 a
From: a @ 2002-10-22 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

// ...when I try and set a password with passwd...

are you running a single box setup? password expects to be
able to go talk to an auth server. the "protocol botch"
error means it's not getting anyone to talk the auth
protocol with it.

note that if you're running a stand-alone terminal, there
isn't really a "password" for access to local resources. i
think the design principle is that if you've got access to
the local physical hardware, all bets on security are off
anyway, and your files should be on a secured file server
somewhere.

// Is there something I can set/do to send a kill signal to this process...

from within rio (the windowing system), type delete. there
is no job control in the shell, so if you've not got rio
working, you're outta luck (when working on the console,
i generally background things like ping with & so i can
kill them explicitly).

// And for a bonus, what pagers are available?

p(1)

hope this helps.
ア

* [9fans] passwd and ^D/^C
@ 2002-10-22 15:10 John Saylor
From: John Saylor @ 2002-10-22 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi

I'm making small progress with my plan9 work and have come across 2
hurdles.

I have an account, but when I try and set a password with passwd, I get
this:
passwd: protocol botch: cs: can't translate address

and when I run auth/iam I get this:
auth/iam: open key

Sometimes, when checking network connectivity for instance, I run a
command that prints to the screen [ip/ping]. On a UN*X system, I would
type ^C or ^D to stop the output. On my plan9 system this only prints an
explanatory character. Is there something I can set/do to send a kill
signal to this process [aside from getting a process listing and sending
a kill signal to that process].

And for a bonus, what pagers are available?

I've been looking through the wiki and not finding this stuff. If I just
need to look harder, let me know.

--
.--- ...