* [9fans] gee, should we tell them about plan 9
@ 2004-02-16 12:43 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2004-02-16 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I found this interesting.  -- Arnold

> Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 15:12:18 -0500 (EST)
> From: The SANS Institute <Webcast@sans.org>
> Subject: SANS Complimentary Webcasts in February
>
> Dear Colleague,
>
> SANS is presenting three more free webcasts this February as part of
> our complimentary training program. If you need to meet HIPAA standards
> or have an interest in Thin Client technology, these short training
> sessions will improve your professional expertise without having to
> leave the comfort of your home or office. If you've never tuned in to
> a SANS webcast before, see the simple instructions at the end of this
> message.
>
> [ ... ]
>

> THIN CLIENT STRATEGIES: REDUCING RISK THROUGH CENTRALIZED COMPUTING
> February 26, 2004
> 1:00pm EST (1800 UTC)
> http://www.sans.org/webcasts/show.php?webcastid=90501
>
> In the past 20 years we've swung from a completely centralized model of
> computing where applications lived on a central server to a nearly
> completely distributed model of computing where applications live on
> every desktop and laptop. System security can be improved by returning
> to a centralized Thin Client technology. In this presentation, James
> Tarala will examine what cost benefits can be obtained through
> implementing this computing model and evaluate how this model can help
> us to better secure our networks.
>
> James Tarala is responsible for information security for Bon Secours
> Healthcare System's operations in the state of Florida and is currently
> involved with numerous Microsoft Terminal Services and Citrix
> implementations within Bon Secours nationwide. James is a GIAC
> Authorized Grader and holds many certifications, including GSEC, GCWN,
> GSNA, CISSP, MCSE:S, CCNA. He is currently pursuing his Masters degree
> in information assurance through the University of Maryland.

* Re: [9fans] gee, should we tell them about plan 9
@ 2004-02-16 17:22 ` 9nut
From: 9nut @ 2004-02-16 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Citrix and others are VNC-like, each with its own protocol. They don't
seem to acknowledge VNC either.

Drawterm's model is more universal.  It would be straightforward to
add a device for window spying and extend the namespace that drawterm
serves.  Performance of /dev/draw would suggest that its speed would
be comparable to other "thin clients".