From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@swtch.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] pull
Date: Thu,  6 Apr 2006 10:19:14 -0500	[thread overview]

> I'd like to read a few explanation about the introduction of noauth, and why
> it wasn't there before. I've not found it in the 9fans list archives. Maybe
> someone can clarify? Thanks in advance.

Most of the time mount -n is not needed.
If the file server allows mounting without authentication
then the usual sequence of messages will discover this
without needing a special flag.  Your computer will say
"I want to mount as viriketo" and sources will say "never
heard of him; no authentication needed" and log you in
as none.  All is well.

The problem is that 99% of people running pull the first
time are logged in as glenda, and there *is* a glenda
account on sources.  So your computer says
"I want to mount as glenda" and sources will say "okay,
authenticate".  And then you drop into factotum doing
authentication, and the only successful way out is to
authenticate as someone.

I could get rid of the need for mount -n if I deleted the
glenda account from sources, but that's a bit involved
because those machines use glenda as the hostowner
(bootes).

Russ