* [9fans] ssh to a unix host
@ 2012-12-30 12:53 Andrew Kilroy
From: Andrew Kilroy @ 2012-12-30 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I'm fairly new to plan9, and am having trouble ssh'ing to my mac.  Running ssh presents a prompt for my password, but the authentication still fails (and I'm pretty sure I typed it right… ).

-----
term% ssh 192.168.0.4

!Adding key: proto=pass server=192.168.0.4 service=ssh user=akilroy
password:
!
ssh: auth ctl msg `ssh-userauth k akilroy <password>' for /net/ssh/clone: ssh-userath auth failed (not Established)
-----

Do I need to do some setup before this can work?  I'm using the cd image from

  http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/download.html

Plan9's running as a guest on the mac in question, using virtualbox.

Thanks,
Andy

* Re: [9fans] ssh to a unix host
@ 2012-12-30 12:58 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-12-30 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Dec 30 07:55:36 EST 2012, lemonkandy@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm fairly new to plan9, and am having trouble ssh'ing to my mac.
> Running ssh presents a prompt for my password, but the authentication
> still fails (and I'm pretty sure I typed it right… ).

that's because the password auth method is implemented, but
keyboard interactive (which does does a password prompt, irritatingly
enough) is not.

we hope to halve that resolved soon, but feel free to submit a patch.  :-)

- erik

* Re: [9fans] ssh to a unix host
@ 2012-12-30 13:14   ` Andrew Kilroy
From: Andrew Kilroy @ 2012-12-30 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> we hope to halve that resolved soon, but feel free to submit a patch.  :-)

Wouldn't mind looking into it.  I'm not sure which source files would need to be looked at or modified.  Pointers?  I guess I should at least read up on factotum?

Andy

* Re: [9fans] ssh to a unix host
@ 2012-12-30 13:20     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-12-30 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Dec 30 08:16:19 EST 2012, lemonkandy@gmail.com wrote:
> > we hope to halve that resolved soon, but feel free to submit a
> > patch.  :-)
> >

> Wouldn't mind looking into it.  I'm not sure which source files would
> need to be looked at or modified.  Pointers?  I guess I should at
> least read up on factotum?

/sys/src/cmd/ssh/sshtun.c:^auth_req

i don't think you'll need to do anything with factotum.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] ssh to a unix host
@ 2012-12-30 13:54   ` Andrew Kilroy
From: Andrew Kilroy @ 2012-12-30 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 30 Dec 2012, at 12:58, erik quanstrom wrote:

> On Sun Dec 30 07:55:36 EST 2012, lemonkandy@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm fairly new to plan9, and am having trouble ssh'ing to my mac.
>> Running ssh presents a prompt for my password, but the authentication
>> still fails (and I'm pretty sure I typed it right… ).
>
> that's because the password auth method is implemented, but
> keyboard interactive (which does does a password prompt, irritatingly
> enough) is not.

What's the non-interactive way of getting this working by the way?
Could I make use of rsa keys I've already generated on the mac?

Andy

* Re: [9fans] ssh to a unix host
@ 2012-12-30 13:57     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-12-30 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> What's the non-interactive way of getting this working by the way?
> Could I make use of rsa keys I've already generated on the mac?

sure, or you could enable password auth on the mac.
on linux it's often not enabled due to openssh/pam defaults.
don't know about the mac.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] ssh to a unix host
@ 2012-12-30 14:48       ` Andrew Kilroy
From: Andrew Kilroy @ 2012-12-30 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 30 Dec 2012, at 13:20, erik quanstrom wrote:

> On Sun Dec 30 08:16:19 EST 2012, lemonkandy@gmail.com wrote:
>>> we hope to halve that resolved soon, but feel free to submit a
>>> patch.  :-)
>>>

>> Wouldn't mind looking into it.  I'm not sure which source files would
>> need to be looked at or modified.  Pointers?  I guess I should at
>> least read up on factotum?
>
> /sys/src/cmd/ssh/sshtun.c:^auth_req

I looked in several places for this, but can't find it.  I seem to
have a different source tree to you.  Looked in:

  /sys/src/cmd/

After running '9fs sources', also looked under

  /n/sources/nix/nix/sys/src/cmd/
  /n/sources/plan9/sys/src/cmd/

They contain directories ssh1 and ssh2 but not plain ssh.  Certainly
can't find the file sshtun.c

  term% du -a /sys/src/cmd | grep sshtun
  term%

Andy

* Re: [9fans] ssh to a unix host
@ 2012-12-30 14:54         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-12-30 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> >> Wouldn't mind looking into it.  I'm not sure which source files would
> >> need to be looked at or modified.  Pointers?  I guess I should at
> >> least read up on factotum?
> >
> > /sys/src/cmd/ssh/sshtun.c:^auth_req
> >

> I looked in several places for this, but can't find it.  I seem to
> have a different source tree to you.  Looked in:
>
>   /sys/src/cmd/
>
> After running '9fs sources', also looked under
>
>   /n/sources/nix/nix/sys/src/cmd/
>   /n/sources/plan9/sys/src/cmd/
>
> They contain directories ssh1 and ssh2 but not plain ssh.  Certainly
> can't find the file sshtun.c
>
>   term% du -a /sys/src/cmd | grep sshtun
>   term%

hmm, i guess the labs made more changes than i thought.

; g auth_req /n/sources/plan9/sys/src/cmd/ssh2
/n/sources/plan9/sys/src/cmd/ssh2/netssh.c:81: int auth_req(Packet *, Conn *);
/n/sources/plan9/sys/src/cmd/ssh2/netssh.c:2536: 			switch (auth_req(p, c)) {
/n/sources/plan9/sys/src/cmd/ssh2/netssh.c:2877: 	sshdebug(c, "auth_req publickey for user %s", user);
/n/sources/plan9/sys/src/cmd/ssh2/netssh.c:2934: auth_req(Packet *p, Conn *c)
/n/sources/plan9/sys/src/cmd/ssh2/netssh.c:2968: 		sshdebug(c, "auth_req password");

- erik