* [9fans] p9p's stats
@ 2015-06-26  0:21 Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2015-06-26  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Two things on stats:

1) The load figures on OS X seem to be mostly useless: they indicate the machine is pretty much constantly pegged, when it’s really mostly idle (as per ’top’ and Activity Monitor). Are other people seeing this, as well?
(Results on FreeBSD and Linux match my expectations.)

2) I’m interested in backporting p9p’s auxstats to plan9, so I can monitor my cpu server in the same stats window as I’m monitoring a FreeBSD host. Before I get started, has anyone attempted this?

Anthony

* Re: [9fans] p9p's stats
@ 2015-06-26  6:06 ` steve
From: steve @ 2015-06-26  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have done the back port
and have backends for Linux and windows. I haven't touched the OS X backend so I cannot help there.

will post code when I get to work.

-Steve

> On 26 Jun 2015, at 01:21, Anthony Sorace <a@9srv.net> wrote:
>
> Two things on stats:
>
> 1) The load figures on OS X seem to be mostly useless: they indicate the machine is pretty much constantly pegged, when it’s really mostly idle (as per ’top’ and Activity Monitor). Are other people seeing this, as well?
> (Results on FreeBSD and Linux match my expectations.)
>
> 2) I’m interested in backporting p9p’s auxstats to plan9, so I can monitor my cpu server in the same stats window as I’m monitoring a FreeBSD host. Before I get started, has anyone attempted this?
>
> Anthony

* Re: [9fans] p9p's stats
@ 2015-06-26 13:15   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2015-06-26 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

nstats in my contrib as promised.

its a slightly modified port of russ's code from p9p that
uses a GUI frontend and an OS specific backend.

I added the OS type and a rough performance guide to the
top line (if the window is wide enough) as we had quite a
few servers on different OSs and it was very helpful to be
able to put the system load in context.

I have used this code extensively but not widely - there
may be portability issues I have missed.

As usual feel free to feed back fixes and extensions.

-Steve