* [9fans] What about panel library in the next release?
@ 2000-01-28 16:51 Tom
From: Tom @ 2000-01-28 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 28, 10:58am, okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp wrote:
> Subject: [9fans] What about panel library in the next release?
> I'm now looking into Panel library of Plan 9, and found there is no
> horizontal scrollbar in the present release.  I've also heard here that
graphics
> models will be changed in the next release...  So, I'd like to know the
> future of panel library whether I should be with that or not.

A scroll bar created with PACKN or PACKS in the flags will be
horizontal.  But nobody supports the panel library and it was
definitely in a beta state on the distribution, so I'd
be leery of using it for anything compilicated.

--
Tom Duff.  I only made this longer because I haven't had time to make it
shorter.

* [9fans] What about panel library in the next release?
@ 2000-01-30  5:10 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2000-01-30  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Tom--

Actually I tried to test your scrltest.c in /sys/src/libpanel to make use of
horizontal scrollbar for item list.

>A scroll bar created with PACKN or PACKS in the flags will be horizontal.

Yes, scrollbar itself can be made horizontal, but the pllist() does not support
horizontal scrolling.  :-)  If we confine ourselves only to this program,
horizontal list might not be neccessary for most of applications, however...

BY the way, I'm wondering how we can make applications without this kind
of upper level libraries, and I'd like to know, then, the policy of Plan 9 designers
on this kind.  In somewhere in the sources, you wrote this would be a beta
version.  This would be true, and it's all right for us.  Then, I'd like to know
whether or when it comes to be a real version... Or who should do it.

We user can make it by ourselves...  Yes, may be.  However, in that case
we will lose standard.  Is that enough for this kind of upper level programmers
interface?  Yes, we can program it by using only libg by clipping in this case
as same as the page program.  However, is that all?  This is my anxious.

I'm a geologist, not computer science major, and want to be an application
programmer at most.

Kenji

* [9fans] What about panel library in the next release?
@ 2000-01-28  1:58 okamoto