* [9fans] Re: Japanese Support?
@ 2000-02-29  3:26 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2000-02-29  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, I'm in trouble to post news from our Univ temporally (be avle to read though).
Then, I post my response to this mailing-list.

>any convinient applications for japanese text processing.

I wrote many emails and an article of 50Kbytes long by acme and ktrans.
I have no problem to write those.  I recommend acme rather than sam to
write long Japanese text.

You can find all the neccessarry patches for Japanese text processing in our
web page (http://basalt.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp/plan9/p9index.html).

Good luck

Kenji

* [9fans] Re: Japanese Support?
@ 2000-03-01  1:13 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2000-03-01  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I recommend acme rather than sam to write long Japanese text.

I forgot to write the reason of this, and then please let me try to elaborate
this more.

You may want to add a new word for Kana to Kanji translation (ktrans does
this) sometimes during writing long Japanese text.  In those cases, if you are
using acme, with top menu of ktrans, you can open the Japanese dictionary
file($user/jisho/ktrans-jisho in default), and edit it by ktrans, and then, hit
^q(control+q) to end the ktrans, and then click ktrans menu to open ktrans
session agian.  The new ktrans use the new dictionary.  I decided to use
plain text as dictionary item, we have no serious reason to have add/delete
function of ktrans-jisho items.

In my case, I usually open "Koujien" dictionary as a acme window by the
command of "win jisho", and search th unregistered item from this complete
Jpanases dictionary, and then cut and past to my ktrans-jisho.

If you use sam, you will lose above functionarities.

I hope this may help someone.

Kenji