* [9fans] Re: Are the Infernospaces gone?
@ 2000-05-08  9:15 Douglas
From: Douglas @ 2000-05-08  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
> Alef is gone.

Does the forthcoming new release of Plan 9 include Limbo/dis etc.?

* [9fans] Re: Are the Infernospaces gone?
@ 2000-05-08 12:14 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-05-08 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Does the forthcoming new release of Plan 9 include Limbo/dis etc.?

no

* [9fans] Re: Are the Infernospaces gone?
@ 2000-05-08  6:46 Bengt
From: Bengt @ 2000-05-08  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com
> Alef is gone.

Has it been replaced? Or just left a whole after itself...

Best Wishes, Bengt
Everything aforementioned should be regarded as totally private
opinions, and nothing else. bengt@softwell.se
``His great strength is that he is uncompromising. It would make
him physically ill to think of programming in C++.''

* [9fans] Re: Are the Infernospaces gone?
@ 2000-05-05 14:39 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-05-05 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

yorvic.york.ac.uk!caves asks:
>Or have I just reinvented inferno?

i'd say the need for it or something like it hasn't gone away.

>forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote:
>> <snip>
>> The most useful aspect of Infernospaces (from our point of view outside)
>> was that it incorporated non-Inferno systems into an Inferno world
>> without having to have them run Inferno.
><snip>

my posting to comp.os.inferno unfortunately had some ambiguous prepositions,
i was also a little too subtle in my wording, and unfortunately, you
didn't quote the whole thing here, so that sentence gives quite the wrong
impression out of context, namely that i thought there was something wrong
about `having to have [non-Inferno systems] run Inferno', which would be silly
of me, given that the hosted mode was one of the key points about Inferno!

generally, I (or we, really since it includes others at Vita Nuova)
take the view that InfernoSpaces was simultaneously too little and too much.
It was `too much' for small devices, where (by contrast) 9p/styx looks fine,
and offered `too little' beyond that really to improve the structuring, implementation
and portability of cross-platform applications.   uncomfortable all round.
in the Inferno/Plan9 milieu Vita hopes to provide things that more effectively attack
the limited part of the problem where (we thought) InfernoSpaces meant well.

* [9fans] Re: Are the Infernospaces gone?
@ 2000-05-05 14:27 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-05-05 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

yorvic.york.ac.uk!caves asks:
>Or have I just reinvented inferno?

>forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote:
>> <snip>
>> The most useful aspect of Infernospaces (from our point of view outside)
>> was that it incorporated non-Inferno systems into an Inferno world
>> without having to have them run Inferno.
><snip>

my posting to comp.os.inferno unfortunately had some ambiguous prepositions,
and i was also a little too subtle in my wording, but worse, you unfortunately
didn't quote the whole thing here, leaving the impression that i might
have thought more of InfernoSpaces than i did (or do), or that i thought
there was something fundamentally wrong with the hosted principle behind
Inferno.  i'd better spell it out a bit more.
generally, I (or we, really since it includes others at Vita Nuova)
take the view that InfernoSpaces was simultaneously too little and too much.
It was `too much' for small devices, where (by contrast) 9p/styx looks fine,
and offered `too little' beyond that really to improve the structuring, implementation
and portability of cross-platform applications.   i know where Infernospace has
gone, but i haven't heard what will become of it.  in the Inferno/Plan9 milieu
we hope to provide something that attacks the part of the problem where

@ 2000-05-05 14:06 jmk
From: jmk @ 2000-05-05 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

	>Would a port of Alef, + a "9spaces" toolkit, provide a useful footprint
	>of these great ideas on other OSes (dare I say Linux), in an OS heterogeneous
	>network.

Alef is gone.

* [9fans] Re: Are the Infernospaces gone?
@ 2000-05-05 13:21 Leo
From: Leo @ 2000-05-05 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

does there exist a similar toolkit for plan9?

as plan9 is native, its deployment on an arbitrary network
would be more difficult than inferno (which could be hosted).

Such a "9spaces" interface would extend the chance of employing
"the plan9/inferno way" in a wider context.

Also, Alef has been ported away from the plan9 platform,
eg. sgi smp machines.

--
Leo Caves <mailto:caves@ysbl.york.ac.uk>
Structural Biology Laboratory, Dept. of Chemistry, University of York