* [9fans] RIP Alef
@ 2000-05-12  7:58 Elliott
From: Elliott @ 2000-05-12  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

was the option of making the Alef compiler output C that
used the threads library considered and rejected? apart
from its lack of garbage collection, i liked Alef, and my
main interest in seeing the next Plan 9 release was seeing
the kind of libraries that the ADT style lets one build, and
comparing those to the OO style libraries i'm more familiar
with.

i was looking forward to seeing how well a GUI component
library could be done in Alef (after seeing too many abysmal
efforts in C, and various degrees of success in various OO
languages).

are (hypothetical) Plan 9 applications expected to be written
in C? or is there now a Java or Dis VM allowing the use of
something a little less painful?

 - Elliott

--
"The old fellows stole all of our best ideas!" -- Frederic W. Goudy

* [9fans] RIP Alef
@ 2000-05-12 17:28 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-05-12 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

%  Regret Alef's death, but I will rise from mine if Limbo would
%  be made available on Plan9. For once there was the birth of a
%  language with `style'. I for one would hate to see it dead.

i don't suppose we'd be best pleased either.  i can say that assuming
inferno rekindles the number of hosted systems should go up systematically,
not down, and that plan 9 is quite likely to be one of them.
which plan 9, though?   good question.

* [9fans] RIP Alef
@ 2000-05-12 15:59 b
From: b @ 2000-05-12 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com (Russ Cox) writes:

%  Regret Alef's death, but I will rise from mine if Limbo would
%  be made available on Plan9. For once there was the birth of a
%  language with `style'. I for one would hate to see it dead.
%  Just the language please (with module support) generating the
%  Plan9 intermediate executables.
%
%You confuse Plan 9 with Inferno.
%No one has done the work to make Limbo
%work natively under Plan 9, and indeed
%it seems like a large amount of work.
%
No, I do not. I was asking if Limbo can be made available as
a programming language under Plan 9. (may be my saying intermediate
executables -- was confusing -- though I was not reffering to .dis
files -- I was referring to the cross compiled output of Plan 9).

* [9fans] RIP Alef
@ 2000-05-12 14:32 Nigel
From: Nigel @ 2000-05-12 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm not sure cousins are allowed to marry.

From: Nikolai @ 2000-05-12 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-05-12 14:21 Russ
From: Russ @ 2000-05-12 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Regret Alef's death, but I will rise from mine if Limbo would
  be made available on Plan9. For once there was the birth of a
  language with `style'. I for one would hate to see it dead.
  Just the language please (with module support) generating the
  Plan9 intermediate executables.

You confuse Plan 9 with Inferno.
No one has done the work to make Limbo
work natively under Plan 9, and indeed