* [9fans] AT&T
@ 2000-05-14  9:57 Lucio
From: Lucio @ 2000-05-14  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, May 13, 2000 at 08:58:11PM -0400, jhs@labrea.research.att.com wrote:

> |I'd certainly be interested in a Open Source clone of Plan 9 to point of
> |spending my own time and money to that end. The less that goes to ATT (for
> |their non-action/support) the better.
>
> Since Bell Labs hasn't been part of AT&T since 1995, I don't think you
> need worry yourself overmuch about this.

... and he can go running to VSTa <http://www.vsta.org/> for the clone
he wants to subsidise.  Who's stopping him?

++L

* [9fans] AT&T
@ 2000-05-14  9:25 Lucio
From: Lucio @ 2000-05-14  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-05-14  1:36 Jim
From: Jim @ 2000-05-14  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

jhs@labrea.research.att.com wrote:

> |I'd certainly be interested in a Open Source clone of Plan 9 to point of
> |spending my own time and money to that end. The less that goes to ATT (for
> |their non-action/support) the better.
>
> Since Bell Labs hasn't been part of AT&T since 1995, I don't think you
> need worry yourself overmuch about this.

I'm sorry to but in, but AT&T doesn't quite deserve this kind of
scorn.  They might be poked fun at, for not really knowing how to
market anything that is NOT "telephone" related (UNIX, "BellMac32",
Hobbit, the list is quite long).  But they're NOT an "evil empire".

[No matter what "TPC" did in "The President's Analyst".  :>D  :>D]

JB
"The future is not what it used to be."
                    -Anonymous

* [9fans] AT&T
@ 2000-05-14  0:59 Jim
From: Jim @ 2000-05-14  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 13 May 2000, Jim Bennett wrote:

> I'm sorry to but in, but AT&T doesn't quite deserve this kind of
> scorn.  They might be poked fun at, for not really knowing how to
> market anything that is NOT "telephone" related (UNIX, "BellMac32",
> Hobbit, the list is quite long).  But they're NOT an "evil empire".

And nobody has said they were. I, in particular, have said nothing that
could be implied as such.

            The future is downloading. Can you hear the impact?

                                        O[rphan] D[rift>]
                                        Cyber Positive

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com
                           -====~~mm-'`-```-mm --'-

* [9fans] AT&T
@ 2000-05-14  0:58 jhs
From: jhs @ 2000-05-14  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-05-14  0:33 Jim
From: Jim @ 2000-05-14  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 13 May 2000 jhs@labrea.research.att.com wrote:

> |I'd certainly be interested in a Open Source clone of Plan 9 to point of
> |spending my own time and money to that end. The less that goes to ATT (for
> |their non-action/support) the better.
>
> Since Bell Labs hasn't been part of AT&T since 1995, I don't think you
> need worry yourself overmuch about this.

True, I guess to be perfectly correct we should call it Lucent since they
are the actual holder of the copyright. I just think of the old
plan9.att.com webpage when I think of Plan 9.