* [9fans] X terminals would be an ideal platform for Plan 9 terminals.
@ 2000-05-15  3:58 Digby
From: Digby @ 2000-05-15  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> As the discussion goes on Plan 9 adoption, and the difficulty to obtain
> technical specifications for hardware, I think it's not completely out
> of topic to mention an old idea : X terminals would be a very good
> platform for Plan 9 terminals ; when I see the processing power, memory
> and display that we use here on our X terminals to display mostly fixed
> pitch fonts in xterms (and images from the web), I think that Plan 9
> terminals would be a much better use for this material.
>
> Moreover, X terminals usually have no disk, so one doesn't feel that a
> part of the machine is left unexploited by the system, and it is much
> easier to convince the user that it's not by bad design that the machine
> has to be rebooted when he logs in.
>
> Do you think there is any chance to obtain the necessary technical
> specifications from NCD?

I would certainly love to see this. I have often wished I had the
documentation to let me experiment with downloading code into my
NCD HMX. It is so frustrating having a MIPS machine on my desk, and
having no control over the software that runs on it.

Being able to make it a Plan9 terminal would be great! It is
certainly has better specs than any of the PC or Sun displays
I have at my disposal...

Regards,
DigbyT
--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                              digbyt@acm.org
http://www.cthulhu.dircon.co.uk

* [9fans] X terminals would be an ideal platform for Plan 9 terminals.
@ 2000-05-15  3:27 Digby
From: Digby @ 2000-05-15  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-05-14 20:48 Anthony
From: Anthony @ 2000-05-14 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

//Would you share?

...i would, yes, if i knew where this all was. i'll
look for it, but i'm not optimistic about finding any
useful material. i also didn't get very far into it
with them (damn day jobs...). the most useful thing
would probably be my contacts. i'll let you know if i
find any of those. i had to social-engineer my way
past the front desk people to talk to techies.
: anothy;

* [9fans] X terminals would be an ideal platform for Plan 9 terminals.
@ 2000-05-14 20:28 bwc
From: bwc @ 2000-05-14 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gee, I spent many hours on the phone to get
the same information and I couldn't get anywhere with them.
My hats off to you.

Would you share?  I have a MIPS base system sitting
on the shelf unused.

Brantley Coile
bwc@borf.com

------ original message follows ------

Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 16:24:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Anthony Sorace <anothy@eden.rutgers.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] X terminals would be an ideal platform for Plan 9 terminals.
Sender: owner-9fans@cse.psu.edu

i made a cursory effort about a year and a half ago
towards getting some of the relavant documentation
from NCD; geoff and i were looking at the port. it
took a while to find people at NCD who understood
what i was asking, but after that, they were
reasonably forthcoming with at least some material.
i agree that some of the NCD boxes are great
potential targets for Plan 9, and it looked at
least doable (PowerPC and MIPS boxes, last i
checked, and we've got compilers for those).

it'll probably be worth waiting until the release
gets out, rather than having to redo the port.

we eagerly await your results :-)
: anothy;

* [9fans] X terminals would be an ideal platform for Plan 9 terminals.
@ 2000-05-14 20:24 Anthony
From: Anthony @ 2000-05-14 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-05-14 20:05 Jean