* [9fans] accessing 2'nd ed. kfs
@ 2000-06-13 14:59 arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2000-06-13 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

My Plan9 3'rd edition is running on the box in which I have
2'nd edition kfs. So I would like to read files in old kfs.
Is there any way to read 2'nd edition kfs from 3'rd edition Plan9 ?

By the way, I have confirmeed that
we can read files in 2'nd ed. file server.

Thanks,

Kenji Arisawa
E-mail: arisawa@aichi-u.ac.jp

* re: [9fans] accessing 2'nd ed. kfs
@ 2000-06-13 15:37 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-06-13 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>Is there any way to read 2'nd edition kfs from 3'rd edition Plan9 ?

it was happy enough doing that on^U
3rd edition was happy enough doing that on my thinkpad's previously
2nd edition file system.
something gave a sensible warning about the lack of a new-style
partition, during boot, but things were  fine after that.

* Re: [9fans] accessing 2'nd ed. kfs
@ 2000-06-13 15:18 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-06-13 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arisawa, 9fans

  My Plan9 3'rd edition is running on the box in which I have
  2'nd edition kfs. So I would like to read files in old kfs.
  Is there any way to read 2'nd edition kfs from 3'rd edition Plan9 ?

You need a way for the new system
to get a partition configured pointing
at your old kfs partition.

If you just want to do it once, the
easiest way is
	echo part oldfs 1234567 2345678 >/dev/sdC0/ctl

where the numbers are those that you
used in the old plan 9 partition
table, and sdC0 is the disk it's on.
After that, /dev/sdC0/oldfs will be
that partition.

If you want to have it come up automatically,
you'll want to set up a Plan 9 partition
in fdisk that starts at least two sectors
before the kfs one and includes it, and
then use disk/prep.  This is getting to be
bad magic; it's more straightforward to
access it once as described above and
copy either the partition or the data to
a new setup.

Russ