* Re: [9fans] Even more beginner questions
@ 2000-06-13 16:43 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-06-13 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

  Had my first crash -- killed rio (with the kill command), reset $vgasize
  to 1280x1024x16 (it was 1024x78x16) and restarted rio. Instead of the
  usual message "no such monitor/resolution" I got a dump of the registers
  and follishly forgot to write it down.

Don't do that.  Once the draw driver gets
used after putting the screen in some
resolution, you can't change resolutions
without just rebooting.  It's something I'd,
in an ideal world, like to see fixed, but
it's also very hard and, done right, involves
the kernel in things it shouldn't be involved in
(screen resize messages).

  now the question: I seem to be unable
  to find the much touted
  "Programmer's Manual". /sys/doc/ contains only bits
  and pieces and even

The Programmer's Manual is Volume 1,
the man pages.

Russ

* [9fans] Even more beginner questions
@ 2000-06-13 16:24 Andrey Mirtchovski
From: Andrey Mirtchovski @ 2000-06-13 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I had problems with up the network on my machine: issuing ip/ipconfig
with all the proper settings seemed to be of no use -- no packets will
go through the gateway (no DHCP setup on my local network).
I had to change the termrc script and add the ipconfig options there.
DNS is still not working but I haven't had a chance to try the
suggestions given this morning.

Had my first crash -- killed rio (with the kill command), reset $vgasize
to 1280x1024x16 (it was 1024x78x16) and restarted rio. Instead of the
usual message "no such monitor/resolution" I got a dump of the registers
and follishly forgot to write it down.

now the question: I seem to be unable to find the much touted
"Programmer's Manual". /sys/doc/ contains only bits and pieces and even
though the C Compiler tutorial is quite useful I would like to avoid the
digging in man pages in order to go beyond the 'hello world'... Or maybe
I shouldn't? :)

Thanx for any response...

PS: loved `{whois root} :)