* Re: [9fans] moving the cursor in rio/acme/sam
@ 2000-06-14 13:19 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-06-14 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	I find that I
	*very* frequently want to move the cursor -- nondestructively -- through
	a line of text, to edit it.  And if I had to use the mouse to do that, I
	think I'd go insane.

I'll avoid value judgements and just say that the only way is to use the mouse.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] moving the cursor in rio/acme/sam
@ 2000-06-15  4:03 ` Randolph Fritz
From: Randolph Fritz @ 2000-06-15  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Anyone who wants to see some excellent articles on this important and
divisive user interface issue might be interested in
<http://www.asktog.com/readerMail/1999-12ReaderMail.html>.  I don't
intend to discuss it further, personally.  Mmmmm...perhaps this--and a
warning that the topic is incedniary--might be added to the FAQ?

--
Randolph Fritz
Eugene, Oregon, USA

* Re: [9fans] moving the cursor in rio/acme/sam
@ 2000-06-14 18:45 tad
From: tad @ 2000-06-14 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[disclaimer: I'm just a joe random worker at Bell Labs]

When I first began living in the Plan 9 environment, one of the
things I longed for was working cursor keys.

After about a week or so, I became comfortable with the lack
of cursor control, and after about a month or two, I didn't
long for it anymore.

It turns out that I am more productive using sam(1) and
acme(1) than I was using "vi" in Unix.  I don't want or expect
the cursor keys to do anything more than "page up" and "page down"
anymore.

-Tad

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2125 bytes --]

From: Jon Zeppieri <97jaz@my-deja.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] moving the cursor in rio/acme/sam
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:33:15 GMT

Is there any way simply to move the cursor backwards and forwards
through a line of text in rio -- I mean:  to do what the arrow keys do
in other systems.

If not, then what do experienced Plan 9 users do instead?  I find that I
*very* frequently want to move the cursor -- nondestructively -- through
a line of text, to edit it.  And if I had to use the mouse to do that, I
think I'd go insane.  I figure there must be a simpler solution.  And
maybe it's just that I've been up all night toying around with the
system :) -- but I can't figure it out.

-jaz

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* [9fans] moving the cursor in rio/acme/sam
@ 2000-06-14 11:33 Jon Zeppieri